Blackberry wine quick ferment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skoch1988

Reaction score
Hi all
I'm new to wine making and decided to give blackberry wine a go since they were on sale a few weeks ago. On April 28, I siphoned the wine into the secondary. My SG reading was at 1.020--a little lower than what the recipe said but I might have just read it later in the day. I took a reading just now (May 3) and it's already at 1.000! Is that normal? The recipe said it would take three weeks but it only took five days!! Did I do something wrong? Should I go ahead and bottle it? :confused::confused:

Yes, I commonly have my blackberry wine go dry in less than 5 days.

And NO, don't bottle it! Rack it to an appropriately sized carboy, topped up to near the bung. Wait 60 days, or until you have lees (sediment) 1/4" thick and then rack. Repeat as necessary.

When you go at least 60 days in a new carboy without any lees at all, even a dusting, the wine is ready to bottle. You may wish to sweeten at that time, so then you would stabilize the wine with the appropriate items (sorbate and campden, usually) and then sweeten and then bottle.

I have a five gallon car boy but only made two gallons. Do I top off with water?

Back