Honey in brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golfgod04

Reaction score
So, Im going to be making a Honey Ginger Kolsch. I was wondering what kind of honey should I use? Should I use Raw and unfiltered? Organic? Any kind of honey? I figured raw and unfiltered would be best but Im not sure and was looking for anyone with experience. thanks!

I make a Belgian Golden with 2lbs of local honey, raw and unfiltered. I also carbonate with honey occasionally, same deal, raw and unfiltered.

I have used local, raw and unfiltered honey in beer. I have also used store-bought honey. I *may* be able to detect a better result from the local product but wouldn't pay a premium price for it.

thanks ! I just wanted to make sure before I bought it. I appreciate the help!

When you carbonate with honey, do you pasteurize it or just mix it in cold?

I take the honey, which I buy from the local market in a place called "Доктор мед" or "Doctor Honey." A big multi-use spoon dipped into a plastic bucket, which pulls out delicious and beautiful honey.

For carbonating, I put the requisite amount in a pot with some cups of water. Bring to boil for a few minutes, take off the heat, and add to bottling bucket.

Back