Bass Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbrim

Reaction score
I am brewing for a little homebrew party a friend and I are hosting. I started with an Armenian Imperial Stout:
6.6 lbs Muntons Old Ale Kit
3.3 lbs plain light malt extract syrup
1/2 lbs black patent malt
1/2 lbs roasted barley
3 tsp gypsum
2 oz Yakima Magnum bittering hops
1 oz Cascade aroma hops American Ale yeast (dry)
4 dried Cayenne peppers (added with aroma hops)
12 whole cloves (added with aroma hops)

I brewed last weekend and its not quite ready to bottle yet, which is fine because I will still have 8 weeks for it to mature in bottles. We are going to make black and tans, so I am looking for a good Bass recipe. I think I will spruce up the Bass a bit. Has anyone tried a spruce pale ale? Any good? What about Bass, has anyone found a good clone recipe?

Drinking: Coffee Porter! and Sweet Stout
In bottles: Irish Red Ale
Fermenting: Armenian Imperial Stout
Up Next: Belgian Witbier

Search Bass or Bass Clone, in titles only. You should come up with many results...

If you want a spot-on bass clone, you are looking at a grain bill that includes some corn and just a touch (1oz?) of roasted barley... I believe Target and other traditional english hops are used (EKG or Fuggles or both?). There is a recipe in the BYO clone magazine, but that is at home and I am not there...

If you can't find it in a search, I'll post it up for you later this weekend...

EDIT: The grain bill on biermunchers 'clone' looks about right. Remember he is doing 10g batches though, so half this for 5g... Also, as he notes, his hops are not exactly what is in bass. Use the hops I mentioned at the same IBU level (30-34) for a more 'authentic' bass clone. (No offense bier, I'm sure yours was great!)

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=30388&highlight=bass

Latest posts

Back