Cream of three crops, reversed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tactical-Brewer

Reaction score
So, I was going to brew a cream of three crops batch, but most of the ones I've tried with corn tend to be a little sweet for a bmc beer that I'm looking for. So I was basically going to flip flop the rice and corn portions and hopefully come out with a little dryer, easy drinker.

What do you all think?

Awesome! Thanks guys! Going to try Czech saaz. Picked up two ounces of pellets for like 2.40 after taxes.

How would you guys break up the hop addition for 5 gallons? Don't want anything overly happy but these Czech saaz seem pretty low on the scale

Awesome! Thanks guys! Going to try Czech saaz. Picked up two ounces of pellets for like 2.40 after taxes.

How would you guys break up the hop addition for 5 gallons? Don't want anything overly happy but these Czech saaz seem pretty low on the scale

I'd plug it into a recipe creator and play around with it some. But my guess would be add 0.5 oz at 60(or FWH), 1.0 oz. at 20 ,and the last 0.5oz. at 0.

I will do the same next time I brew it. I did 50/50 last time, next time it will be 2lbs rice, 1lb corn. Didn't dislike the first one but agree with your original thoughts.

Think I'm going to do

5lb 2row
2.5lb minute rice
1lb instant corn meal or grits

Mash at 150 for 60

Boil for 90
.75 Czech saaz @ 60
.75 Czech saaz @ 20
.5 Czech saaz @ 5

Saf-ale 05

5.5 gallon batch.

According to Brewer's friend,
Should come out at 4.5% and 17.3ibu

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1463712419.951352.jpg

Saf-ale 05 did magic on this one! Dropped it to 1.002 for an abv of 4.6%. Can't complain about that.

Came out very crisp and clean with a bit of bitterness which surprised me a little bit since I only used Saaz but it's delicious nonetheless.

Can't wait for a couple weeks to see how it turns out carbed!

View attachment 355212

Saf-ale 05 did magic on this one! Dropped it to 1.002 for an abv of 4.6%. Can't complain about that.

Came out very crisp and clean with a bit of bitterness which surprised me a little bit since I only used Saaz but it's delicious nonetheless.

Can't wait for a couple weeks to see how it turns out carbed!

Is that a fruited beer? Looks like my raspberry lambic.

As for BMC, I swear my cream ale right now is a doppelganger of Miller Lite. I use more corn than rice, and cascade at the end, but man it tastes just like it... With US05...

I just dumped some dark morello cherries I got from the grocery store on the first ferment. Just for fun.

It doesn't have any cherry taste at all, or at least I couldn't taste any at this point.

I used a lot more rice than corn cause I wanted it to be dry and crisp

I just dumped some dark morello cherries I got from the grocery store on the first ferment. Just for fun.

It doesn't have any cherry taste at all, or at least I couldn't taste any at this point.

I used a lot more rice than corn cause I wanted it to be dry and crisp

Gotcha. Just wanted to make sure my eyes werent playing tricks on me... OR that your beer was crazy infected.

Im interested on how it turns out.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1463770592.716968.jpg

This is all I used to make this beer (not including the hops). If it turns out good, I'll keep on making it. Some with/without the fruit, or different fruit, whichever.

Now that I'm washing yeast, I should be able to make this for around 15 bucks for 50 bottles from here on out!

[emoji106]��

I'd think you would need to puree the cherries to get much out of them. I was thinking on a cherry stout for the dead of next winter and from what I gather, it appears that extract at bottling/kegging works well.

I'd think you would need to puree the cherries to get much out of them. I was thinking on a cherry stout for the dead of next winter and from what I gather, it appears that extract at bottling/kegging works well.

That's a good idea. I'll probably do that next time I do a fruit beer. :mug:

I've got to say, anyone interested in brewing this for their BMC buddies... Do! It came out well, amazing in the sense of how much it tasted like a "light" beer. In other words, not much taste, high carbonation, crisp, and clean. Nothing wrong with that if you're into water like most BMC drinkers, but this beer is absolutely dead on for it haha.

Not saying I made a crappy beer, in fact I made exactly what I was shooting for. It's actually kind of dangerous because it drinks just like water but with 4.6% abv you can indeed get drunk off it lol.

Make a batch, give it to your BMC drinking buddies then gloat about spending 2.10 a six pack [emoji6]

I used cherry extract once, it was a little synthetic tasting. If you can, use fresh fruit.

A little puree in the blender with some vodka and you will be good to go.

Perfect! I was wondering how the heck I would sanitize the fruit! Vodka of course :mug:

*The cherries came in a syrup type juice and I just added another cup of water and boiled it for 10 minutes. I like the vodka route better!

Back