Brood and pollen as nutrients?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfonnes

Reaction score
Just had a discussion with a fellow bee keeper who tells me that instead of nutrients he uses brood. He just breaks of a chunk of comb (pollen, brood, wax and all) throw it in the blender then uses that as nutrients.

Anyone else tried this?

Brood add little flavor, full grown bees however... Even better if you put live ones in a bag and shake them to make'em angry. That adds kick!

Lol never actually done that. But I forget where but I remember reading that with an old article regarding whole hive mead.

Never had brood in my mead but have had propalas and pollen. Seems to work well. But commercial nutrients still feed the yeast better.

Whole Hive Mead. We trimmed up some comb from a top bar hive and ended up with a lot of drone brood, pollen and everything else mixed in with honeycomb, just squished it all up in lukewarm water, you will get a little flavor from the brood comb plus the excrement from the larva to help add some nutrients. The larva BTW taste like canned condensed milk, sweet and not the least bit icky. Hoping to give it another go this year, if it ever stops raining so the bees can get out! WVMJ

Back