2016 Mead Free or Die results posted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TandemTails

Reaction score
Did anyone enter the 2016 Mead Free or Die competition? This was the first competition I entered meads into and I submitted a dry hopped tart cherry hydromel (M2E) and a spiced cyser (M3A)

The tart cherry melomel scored 30.5. The main feedback was that it needed more tart cherry flavor and tannins. One of the judges noted a 'soapy' flavor and suggested making sure my yeast is healthy which is strange because I was on top of aerating, SNA and temp control. Perhaps they were getting some of the hops?

The spiced cyser (the first mead I ever made) scored 33.5. The main feedback was there was a little too much going on (I used cinnamon, ginger, cloves, vanilla and nutmeg). One of the judges mentioned it was more sweet than semi-sweet, but it finished at 1.012 which falls within the semi-sweet category. At 19% ABV, the FG doesn't seem too sweet to me.

I didn't place but I'm pretty happy with the results. I'm kinda shocked that the cyser scored higher than the tart cherry. The cyser was literally the 3rd thing i'd ever brewed (after two cider tests) and I had no clue what I was doing. A few gallons of apple cider, a ton of honey, some spices thrown into primary with no temperature control, SNA or aeration and then just letting 1118 run wild.

How'd you do if you entered the competition?

http://www.meadfreeordie.com/

Dont ever let what some judge thinks of your meads matter too much to you, make the meads you like, you are not making them for the judges to drink:) One thing I dont like in some of the comps is the judges talk to each other while tasting a bottle, I think they talk each other into tasting some flaw like green pepper vs independent opinion from each. They next judge will tell you that you have to much cherry in your melomel :):) WVMJ

I entered few meads in Mead Free or Die 2016 and they placed almost identical to Mazer Cup 2016 results (where I also placed couple times with same meads). So the judging seems very consistent from comp to comp. My tart/sour cherry got 2nd and also got 3rd in berry melomel as well as HM in same category. These competitions start to get really competitive. Don't get discouraged by average score sheets. Apply feedback to your next batches and enter again! I have not seen score sheets from Mead Free or Die 2016 but let me tell you something, at Mazer Cup 2016 out of 4 entries my lowest score sheet was 45 points. 46.5 points avg on two of my entries and they didn't place. Your mead needs to be close to perfection to win.

Back