gelatin for kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danger

Reaction score
Been away from home brewing for a year and a half. But with my re-entry I stepped up and am now doing all grain and kegging. Stoked.

Anyways I know every homebrew issue has already been answered somewhere on the internet, but with some searching I haven't found my specific issue answered:

Please keep in mind this is my first all grain batch, and first time kegging. And I'm flying solo, no one to walk me through this. But... for my for batch I did a simple PA, and did 14 days primary then racked straight into keg from there. Back in my extract days I knew of fining techniques like gelatin and such, but never really cared about having a crystal clear beer. I would just do a little Irish moss at the last 15 min of the boil and always had good results. While preparing for my first time kegging I always read about people adding gelatin, but I didn't bother because clarity wasn't really a goal on my first batch. Anyways I had been force carbing it for 5 days at 38 deg and I wanted to see how it was progressing. I poured 3/4 of a pint expecting the sludge that collects at the bottom. I read this is what I should expect as everything settles. But instead beer poured out, cloudy beer, like you could see the yeast floating around, but still 98% beer. I was expecting the beer tube to scoop up a bunch of cake at the bottom. I stuck that pint back in the fridge and in 45 min all the gunk settled to the bottom(like when I used to bottle). I poured some more today (day 7 in kegerator) and still all cloudy. It's like the particles aren't settling the keg, and they are still free floating in there, and only settling once dispensed from tap. I feel like after a weeks there should be stuff sitting at the bottom. Is this why everyone I read uses gelatin?

Question 2: I like a really thick mouthfeel on most of my beers, especially dark. I'm gonna brew a stout next. If I want and extra thick mouth feal will gelatin prevent that by causing all the particles to coagulate to the bottom? I mean if add dextrine malt, will adding a finning agent defeat the purpose?

Thanks!

I should add the only reason this is a problem is there is an unpleasant yeast bite while cloudy. Once settled It taste good

I used gelatin my first few times kegging then realized it was completely unnecessary (IMO) and ditched it. Just an extra step to potentially mess up and the benefits didnt really outweigh the potential problems. Now when I keg my first pint or 2 are cloudy and then they clear up. I also cut my dip tube an extra ~.25" and that really helps as well.

If you do decide to use gelatin it will not affect the mouthfeel. The dextrine will dissolve into the liquid and wont get pulled out of suspension.

I used gelatin my first few times kegging then realized it was completely unnecessary (IMO) and ditched it. Just an extra step to potentially mess up and the benefits didnt really outweigh the potential problems. Now when I keg my first pint or 2 are cloudy and then they clear up. I also cut my dip tube an extra ~.25" and that really helps as well.

If you do decide to use gelatin it will not affect the mouthfeel. The dextrine will dissolve into the liquid and wont get pulled out of suspension.

Awesome. I appreciate the feedback. I'll probably steer clear of the gelatin then.

Awesome. I appreciate the feedback. I'll probably steer clear of the gelatin then.

Ya, and again, its just my opinion, but I dont think it really helps much. I know many people use it and swear by it but I cant see the advantage

I swear by it. It's 1. super duper cheap, 2. it's super duper easy, and 3. it produces crystal clear beer as bright and clear as any commercial beer you'll find.

I cold crash and fine with gelatin for 2 days before kegging.

This is the IPA I have on tap currently (6.25 ounces in the kettle and a 4oz dry hop):

IMG_3001.jpg

I'm wondering if you racked a bunch of trub from your fermenter into your keg. Sounds like there's a lot of it on the bottom of the keg.

One way to test, if you have room, is to roll the keg around to resuspend what's in there, then tilt it away from the dip tube so that what settles will settle away from the dip tube. Then see if there's any difference after you draw off one or two pints.

I'm wondering if you racked a bunch of trub from your fermenter into your keg. Sounds like there's a lot of it on the bottom of the keg.

One way to test, if you have room, is to roll the keg around to resuspend what's in there, then tilt it away from the dip tube so that what settles will settle away from the dip tube. Then see if there's any difference after you draw off one or two pints.

Great idea, I'm going to try that!

Using gelatin is so easy that it literally takes 5 minutes from start to finish.

A packet into 6oz of water, heat to 160 degrees, stir, dump in keg, bleed air, wait a week.

In about a week or 2 my beers turn out crystal clear.

I say go for it, and I will start using it on every batch now.
Even on the ones where I used very flocculant yeast, the beers have not been as vibrant as when I fine with gelatin.

20160405-161823-2117.jpg

knox from the grocery store. you can buy a big can of it on amazon if you want bulk.

Yup, Knox unflavored.

I bought a large box of packets, and emptied them all into a mason jar. It'll literally almost last forever using only 1/2tsp per batch.

I don't fine my Wheat beers or Saisons as I want them a bit hazy to style. Everything else gets the gelatin treatment.

+1 for gelatin. Super easy. Super cheap.

As for the original post, I must concur that I do believe there was a bit more trub and particulates transferred to the keg than you think. Try the idea mentioned with getting those suspended again and tip/pour a pint or two for "research" reasons.

+1 on gelatin. I took Gavin's advice and tried it and it worked fantastic! I now just did it again for a mild I made. Super easy but I use it in the fermenter after fermentation is complete. I cold crash the fermenter to 32 degrees. I use 10 grams of gelatin in 10 oz of water in a pyrex measuring cup. Let it bloom on the counter for 15 min or so. Heat to 160 degrees and make sure it's stirred up until it's dissolved. Then I add it to my 11 gallons of beer that's in my conical fermenter. 2 days later do a small yeast dump. Then I rack into kegs. Here is a pic of the Centennial Blonde Ale that I first tried this technique. Nice and clear!

DSC_6222 (2).jpg

I do it for competition beers and it works well. If it something that isn't seeing a competition i generally don't bother.

Just remember gelatin is melted cow. They take all the animal parts they can't sell with cows (and pigs) and render them into yucky stuff. Gelatin is what comes out the end. If you're cool with all that then no problem but it might not be cool with vegetarians and vegans won't touch it.

Just an fyi, no moral judgement being made here.

+1 on gelatin. Super cheap. Super easy. Amazing results every time. No downside.
Here's my Rye Saison, IPA and Double-IPA.

r5BJr8Hm9vmCh3IsbOGuo0kPCfR7ds3SewRYTWdOJbXcIQXT3EWOLl4bfWHF7D72JwJuDIHmyus4UCHsBnfv5NkGQJPWlij4gKF1zygMhT39P1arkucZH3WBfg60X0_VEAeMjeSuTFMOf8X9XzbSiOPUIeInYg3ubpZF0fOnmJod3trGEB5AoKJeB9rYAb_hESgM7gtxpe4uFx8im3Xiep1QM4tYj0uylmadqRUuLym3vOBxklLpsI21Mfz9nhwOQvv2dKl25TMg5msZcHge1TTd7--9u59VWJJZuJBUqaJJnOoFd_yN7u1-wg9rfWwuyMAKqoGiRDSvPItxP-NHVKwKpDfSdkwZg5F6AmUV8MXtH1D_fY8lIkyd0qc0ZbEx7n-_0f3bYmbEOQ9z0R0xLGLE33swPA-hQWC6WXRlGvZtA4typ9k0jsDjrqZbnajr6Jv647p8ZbquHRvYikIoRJ2LmgRJNp0DQR-cJWq_fPP4s_ve178M0uY_TndHDfo7PPbFuCxWFK6Wnu_X7aoeeRJfEOM5_1H5rx6lKQ5LACTx1QN63XJ83qcUFQVcaFq025Jw6WNS5q33LpP-0DLk-alBnEcIyv_A=w1001-h750-no

Just remember gelatin is melted cow. They take all the animal parts they can't sell with cows (and pigs) and render them into yucky stuff. Gelatin is what comes out the end. If you're cool with all that then no problem but it might not be cool with vegetarians and vegans won't touch it.

Who cares? It's a fantastic inexpensive fining agent. Works better than fish bladders, shellfish and silicone dioxide.... none of which I particularly want in my beer either. It also compliments the bloody clods of prime Angus that I flop over a bed of coals each weekend.

Who cares? It's a fantastic inexpensive fining agent. Works better than fish bladders, shellfish and silicone dioxide.... none of which I particularly want in my beer either. It also compliments the bloody clods of prime Angus that I flop over a bed of coals each weekend.

Besides that its good for our joints.... I toss that stuff back all the time! Keeps me all gelled (is that a word? ) up :)

Cheers
Jay

I have never seen a "melted cow", or "yucky stuff" that it surely entails - but gelatin is basically collagen (connective tissue).

Lets keep in mind, cows and pigs are raised primarily for their meat (and in cow's case - milk). But yes, the left over collagen that nobody likes in their steak for some reason, can actually be used for something useful, like gelatin (same stuff that is in jello). Or should we make sure it goes to waste?

If you really think that if the entire world stopped using gelatin this would save a single cow, come on.

Nobody is goes into farming just so they can get super-rich on gelatin.

Anoter vote for Knox gelatin for fining. Love the stuff, use it on every beer that (IMO) is supposed to be clear (ref. "new england" IPA clarity debate...I fine mine). This is a kolsch I did. Love bright beer!

kolsch.jpg

what kind of gelatin do people use?

I buy mine in bulk from a store called the Bulk Barn. They have a big bin of it, I just grab one of the little baggies, fill it with a scoop of gelatin, and it lasts me years. I'm still on my first baggie (although I'll likely run out sometime this year).

Just remember gelatin is melted cow.

Why is that relevant, unless you've got irrational, culturally-infused hangups about things that are "yucky" for no reason other than society said so? Why would gelatin be any "yuckier" than any other part of the cow?

Besides, it completely settles out of the finished beer anyway. That's kind of the whole point of it. None of it actually ends up in your glass, being consumed by the drinker.

Why is that relevant, unless you've got irrational, culturally-infused hangups about things that are "yucky" for no reason other than society said so? Why would gelatin be any "yuckier" than any other part of the cow?

Besides, it completely settles out of the finished beer anyway. That's kind of the whole point of it. None of it actually ends up in your glass, being consumed by the drinker.

He has a point though...if you know of people who are vegetarian or vegan that may be consuming your beer, they might have an issue with drinking beer that used gelatin, whether the gelatin is actually being consumed or not. I'd have no problem saying to those people, hey, ok, don't drink it...but they certainly have a right to make an informed decision about it, since animal products aren't generally found in beer.

He has a point though...if you know of people who are vegetarian or vegan that may be consuming your beer, they might have an issue with drinking beer that used gelatin

Fair enough, but I try to avoid associating with hippie vegan holistic organic anti-vaxxer mother-Earth nutjobs. All my friends are normal. ;)

Fair enough, but I try to avoid associating with hippie vegan holistic organic anti-vaxxer mother-Earth nutjobs. All my friends are normal. ;)

Same goes, but I occasionally brew beer for parties where I don't necessarily know all the people who will be drinking my beer. Just something that I've been mindful of in the past, that others may want to consider.

Same goes, but I occasionally brew beer for parties where I don't necessarily know all the people who will be drinking my beer. Just something that I've been mindful of in the past, that others may want to consider.

Of course, you're right, and my post was obviously tongue-in-cheek. My wife and I host parties a couple of times a year that include guests from outside our normal circle of friends, such as her co-workers or friends-of-friends. In such cases, I of course would not serve a beer treated with gelatin to a vegetarian.

But how do you know if someone you just met is a vegetarian? Well, that's the great thing about vegetarians - they'll always tell you pretty quickly. Just mingle about while chewing on some jerky, and they'll make themselves known right away.

It does raise an interesting point though. I know most commercial breweries, as far as I'm aware, use filtering for clarification vs. fining. What about wineries? Do they filter, or are they (potentially) using animal products to fine - gelatin, isinglass, chitosan? Do vegans and vegetarians have a problem with this, if they are even aware?

It does raise an interesting point though. I know most commercial breweries, as far as I'm aware, use filtering for clarification vs. fining. What about wineries? Do they filter, or are they (potentially) using animal products to fine - gelatin, isinglass, chitosan? Do vegans and vegetarians have a problem with this, if they are even aware?

Lots of commercial breweries cold crash with gelatin instead of filtration. So yeah, sort of interesting point I guess. I'm sure they just say "well none of it ends up in packaging" but I doubt that literally zero gelatin particles get in. Not that I care. I'm sure no government agency is going to test to see if there's really any in there either.

Lots of commercial breweries cold crash with gelatin instead of filtration. So yeah, sort of interesting point I guess. I'm sure they just say "well none of it ends up in packaging" but I doubt that literally zero gelatin particles get in. Not that I care. I'm sure no government agency is going to test to see if there's really any in there either.

I don't know... that's exactly one of those things I would expect a Government agency to involve themselves with. They love wasting our money doing studies on the strangest things. [emoji6]

Back