Boil off rate Bayou Classic 44 qt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgreenberg2000

Reaction score
I know that this is dependent on a lot of variables, but wondering if any of you who use this pot could let me know what your boil off rate is? I'm going to use it for the first time today as my BIAB pot (usually it's my HLT), so I don't have any previous brews to guide me on expected boil off. I can wing it with the defaults in Beersmith if needed, and just adjust my boil time as needed, but if anyone can help me get in the ballpark, that would be great!

Targeting to fire off the burner for my strike water in about two hours (planning do a warm sparge, as my efficiency was very low in my first BIAB.)

Thanks in advance for any help!

Rich

I use a 40 quart aluminum kettle in my BIAB, and my boil-off is 18~19 percent of total volume (TV).

Batch size + grain absorption + equipment loss + (TV-19%) = TV

There are a lot of variables. Your burner and how much flame you are throwing at the pot are 2 huge ones. For example: I have the 64 quart bayou. One one of my burners the burner is closer to the bottom of the pot and I have a higher psi regulator allowing me to really hit it with heat hard. If I leave it cranked I will boil off 2.5 gallons per hour. If I use my other burner and let it crank full blast I only boil off 1.5 gallons per hour.

I use this pot on a Blichmann. I lose a bit less a gallon per hour, but that is in ambient temperatures close to 90* here in sunny South Florida.

I use the Bayou Classic 44qt stainless pot on the Bayou Classic SQ14 burner, with the burner going just enough to keep a nice vigorous rolling boil and I boil off about 1.5 gallons per hour every time.

^^ that is about what I had with that rig as well. With the Blichmann, I am able to get a more consistent boil without having to crank the heat, it seems to be more efficient.

Thanks, all! I knew that nobody would give me a number I could take to the bank given all the variable, but ballpark is what I was looking for and you delivered. Mash is underway. Estimating 1-1.5 boil off, so I will boil a little longer if needed to get to target.

Cheers,
Rich

Back