How to grind - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How to grind

Old 02-08-2006, 09:15 PM   #1
Capa

Recipes 

Feb 2006
Bahrain

So im standing in my kitchen trying to figure out how to crush my grains and i thought maybe use my coffee bean grinder. Anyone else use this? if not that what else should i use? Rolling Pin?

Old 02-08-2006, 09:18 PM   #2
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2005
Cary, NC
Liked 101 Times on 89 Posts

you don't want to GRIND them, just crack them open a little bit.

put them in a plastic bag and crush them lightly with the rolling pin or cast-iron frying pan.

-walker

Old 02-08-2006, 10:46 PM   #3
Capa

Recipes 

Feb 2006
Bahrain

Oh alright. Crushing them makes more sense anyhow, thanks

Old 02-08-2006, 11:59 PM   #4
rubble
Recipes 

Nov 2005
Elgin, IL

There are mills out there that crush the grains perfectly.

http://www.rubblebrewery.ws/brewery/maltmill.html

Elgin Transfer Inc.
elginweather.com

Old 02-09-2006, 01:35 AM   #5
RichBrewer

Recipes 

Feb 2006
Denver, Colorado
Liked 168 Times on 88 Posts

The theory is that you crush the grains to release the starches. The husks should remain somewhat whole as they will serve as a filter when the mash is sparged. For steeping, I would say that you would want to do the same. A coffee grinder will make fine particles that would be very hard to remove from the wort.

Old 02-09-2006, 02:18 AM   #6
Walker
I use secondaries. :p

Recipes 

Sep 2005
Cary, NC
Liked 101 Times on 89 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBrewer
A coffee grinder will make fine particles that would be very hard to remove from the wort.
... and probably won't taste all that good.

-walker

Old 02-09-2006, 02:42 PM   #7
Beer Snob

Recipes 

Dec 2005
Farmington
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I used to use a rolling pin, but after seeing how the grinder does it at the homebrew store I don't think it was being grinded enough. You might want to try a small sample in the coffee grinder. Talking just a sigle push of the button. Once you know what a grind is supposed to look like, getting it that way should be easy.

"Don't worry, have a homebrew." ,"The "Bible"

Cherries in the wheat
Michael's Wheat

Old 02-09-2006, 02:47 PM   #8
WhatsOnTap
Recipes 

Jan 2006
Stowe, VT

Not to get off on a tangent, but why do they say not to squeeze the muselin bag with the specialty grains? I sparged with 2 quarts hot water last night but I wanted to SQUEEZE IT! I resisted the urge though, until I took it outside. Nice brown water came out, seems like a waste.

Old 02-09-2006, 03:17 PM   #9
Beer Snob

Recipes 

Dec 2005
Farmington
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

If you squeeze it you will release tannins which will produce an off taste. I did the exact same thing you did two nights ago. I just poured water over it till I got the amount of liquid I needed in the brewpot before cooling.

"Don't worry, have a homebrew." ,"The "Bible"

Cherries in the wheat
Michael's Wheat

Old 02-10-2006, 06:50 AM   #10
2pugbrews
Recipes 

Sep 2005
Loveland, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsOnTap
Not to get off on a tangent, but why do they say not to squeeze the muselin bag with the specialty grains? I sparged with 2 quarts hot water last night but I wanted to SQUEEZE IT! I resisted the urge though, until I took it outside. Nice brown water came out, seems like a waste.
Gosh, did I goof? I brewed a spiced porter this afternoon with chocolate and black patent malt and rolled oats. I'll swear I read someplace, maybe in Palmer, to squeeze the bag between 2 plates. I've done this a couple time before but I think that the beers turned out alright. What kind of taste would the tannins lend to the brew. Also the oats in the bag with the steeped grains made the leavings real gummy. What do the oats add to the brew?