Tips for Brewing Oatmeal Stout? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Tips for Brewing Oatmeal Stout?

Old 03-06-2008, 08:28 PM   #1
EinGutesBier
Recipes 

Jul 2007
Mandan, ND
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm going to be brewing my first stout, an oatmeal stout, pretty soon. Although I know that there really isn't too much else different from brewing this beer as any other, I was hoping to gain some of the community's knowledge. Are there any accomplished stout (oatmeal) brewers who would like to offer their insight regarding any of the ingredients, time/temp techniques or other valuable experience that would be good to keep in mind? Though I have a recipe in mind, I'd be interested if anyone has a recipe tht worked well for them. Thanks everyone. : D

Old 03-06-2008, 08:43 PM   #2
Brewing Clamper

Recipes 

Apr 2006
Union City, CA
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

Are you doing all grain, PM, or Extract? If you want to get more out of your oats, be sure to cook them first, making a runny gruel type thing before mashing/steeping. This isn't necessary though, especially if you use instant oats...

4 Ohms Aleworks & Lagers | Twitter | Facebook | Blog |

Old 03-06-2008, 09:02 PM   #3
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Jan 2007
St. Louis, MO
Liked 789 Times on 435 Posts

I use Quaker Quick Oats (from the grocery store).

I've found they are very fermentable. What should have been a 4.7% Oatmeal Stout turned into nearly 6% because I underestimated the potential of oats as a fermentable sugar.

Turned out nice though after it mellowed for a couple months.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:18 PM   #4
NWernBrewer
Recipes 

Jan 2008
Burien, WA
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Use a pound of the instant oats and of course your high lovibond grain. Be patient - after it is bottled leave it alone for at least 2 months. You will appreciate the difference. When I brewed my first oatmeal stout I started drinking it after 4 weeks in the bottle and was disappointed - I thought that there may have been an infection it had a vinegary smell and flavor and after another 4-5 weeks that had eased into smooth creamy goodness.

Good luck

Old 03-06-2008, 09:24 PM   #5
debaniel
Recipes 

Nov 2007

interesting... so you'd want to cook the oats, even with an extract/s. grains recipe?

do you just dump the gruel into the wort during boil?

Old 03-06-2008, 09:30 PM   #6

Check the recipe I have in my pull down. I just brewed it using Carafa III instead of regular chocolate malt and it made a real difference. I've been getting a lot of good reviews on it and plan to enter it in a couple of upcoming contests. I'm sticking with it for this brew form now on.

I also roast the flaked oats.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:30 PM   #7
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Jan 2007
St. Louis, MO
Liked 789 Times on 435 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by debaniel
interesting... so you'd want to cook the oats, even with an extract/s. grains recipe?

do you just dump the gruel into the wort during boil?
You'll do yourself a favor just buying quick oats from the store. They've already been cooked and can be added directly to the steeping bag / mash tun.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:21 PM   #8
EinGutesBier
Recipes 

Jul 2007
Mandan, ND
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Heh, whoops. This is an all grain batch - I just kind of assumed.

So...is there such a thing as using "too many" oats in regard to the ratio with base grains and specialty grains? I'm shooting for a 6 gallon batch, possibly even 10. I'm not sure yet. Would you say a higher or lower mash temp is ideal?

Old 03-06-2008, 10:35 PM   #9
Brewing Clamper

Recipes 

Apr 2006
Union City, CA
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinGutesBier
Heh, whoops. This is an all grain batch - I just kind of assumed.

So...is there such a thing as using "too many" oats in regard to the ratio with base grains and specialty grains? I'm shooting for a 6 gallon batch, possibly even 10. I'm not sure yet. Would you say a higher or lower mash temp is ideal?
I find that when I mash it a little higher, I get more body and a sweeter finish, which is usually what I like in an oatmeal stout. There are some folks that like a drier stout though...

4 Ohms Aleworks & Lagers | Twitter | Facebook | Blog |