There's a lot of discussion about using waterbottles...and a lot of differring opinions. Some people use water bottles...some don't, and some only use them for making meads and apfelweins, but not beer. Unltimately it'll come down to your own choice.
But take a look first at the underside of the bottle at the symbol...
Here's some of the other codes....and some info.
1. PET or PETE – Light gauge containers such as store bought pop bottles should be a one time use only. Heavier gauge containers show no evidence of leaching chemicals.
2. HDPE – not known to leach unwanted chemicals.
3. PVC or V – Bad – Strong evidence to show the leaching of DEHA, a known human carcinogen.
4. LDPE – not known to leach unwanted chemicals although not as widely recycled as #1 or #2.
5. PP – not known to leach unwanted chemicals although not as widely recycled as #1 or #2.
6. PS - suspected to possibly leach harmful carcinogens
7. Assorted but usually polycarbonate – Bad – may contain leaching BPA.
Basically though 1 is the best 2 is ok....the other ones besides leaching problems are also the most succesible to oxygen permeability.
It may be regional....but I've seen some in Michigan with <7> on them...
Some stores carry them with <1>'s on them.