John Smith's Extra Smooth

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhudson

Reaction score
I was recently in London and had a beer called John Smith's Extra Smooth. That is one of the best beers I've ever tasted. I would recommend it to anyone taking a trip that way.

All these smooth flow beers use nitrogen not co2 it gives it the smooth creamy head, there are lots about over in the uk.

John Smith's Extra Smooth is just a regular ole ale. But it was a fantastic brew!

Also, they do not use nitrogen to dispense this, they use a hand pump as it is a cask (sp?) beer. However, this might be a good time to clear something up for me. I was always under the impression that they use a mixture of CO2 and N2, never strictly N2 to dispense beer. Is this true?

Have a look on the John smiths web site, let me know which one you had, round here all smooth beer is are poured using gas? just interested in what you had.

I have a nitrogen tap and use "beer gas" to pour it, which is a CO2/NO2 blend. I love it for a lot of my British styles. Especially Bitters and Stouts.

Back