cheddar humidity and tupperware

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lethstang

Reaction score
So when you wax your cheddar and store it at 55 degrees....Whats the difference if you just put the cheese in tupperware instead?

So when you wax your cheddar and store it at 55 degrees....Whats the difference if you just put the cheese in tupperware instead?

Doesn't take much to get mold on cheese at that temp. It might work for you, but I wouldn't bet on it. I did wax one time, and it worked out fine. Since then I've used vacuum bags and they work perfectly, no mold under the clear bag ever.

Hi I am new to this Also.
I own a vacuum sealer and would love to just add my cheese to a bag, seal it and off to the races.
My question is how do the cheese differ in taste from vacuum seal and wax?

Oh, I forgot to mention that one of my favorite cheeses was a cabra al vino. Very similar to this: http://cheeseforum.org/articles/wiki-cabre-al-vino-cheese-making-recipe/ and after the second wine bath, I vacuum sealed it and kept it at 50 degrees.

I've been meaning to make one of those since I made my own red wine. Soon! It uses goats milk, and I've got a source of fresh stuff, just haven't gotten any yet.

Mary Carlin, in her book Artisan Cheese Making, has a fantastic one that cracked after soaking in wine. I want to try to reproduce this. She says the cracks are caused by pressing with a lighter weight than normal.

cabra-al-vino-67634.jpg

I've been meaning to make one of those since I made my own red wine. Soon! It uses goats milk, and I've got a source of fresh stuff, just haven't gotten any yet.

Mary Carlin, in her book Artisan Cheese Making, has a fantastic one that cracked after soaking in wine. I want to try to reproduce this. She says the cracks are caused by pressing with a lighter weight than normal.

cabra-al-vino-67634.jpg

Ooooh, that sounds great.

I really loved the cheese-probably one of my favorites. I lost my source of goat's milk, and haven't made cheese in ages, but that and feta were the "must haves" at our house for a number of years.

I did use my own red wine, a Spanish tempranillo, but I'm sure any good dry red would be just as good.

Ooooh, that sounds great.

I really loved the cheese-probably one of my favorites. I lost my source of goat's milk, and haven't made cheese in ages, but that and feta were the "must haves" at our house for a number of years.

I did use my own red wine, a Spanish tempranillo, but I'm sure any good dry red would be just as good.

Feta is so easy to make, and it lasts forever due to the salt content. Some people will cut it in cubes and store in brine, but I crumbled it and mixed in salt and I've had pounds of it in the garage fridge for at least a year. It's a Dick Clark cheese - doesn't age. Spanikopita heaven.

Feta is so easy to make, and it lasts forever due to the salt content. Some people will cut it in cubes and store in brine, but I crumbled it and mixed in salt and I've had pounds of it in the garage fridge for at least a year. It's a Dick Clark cheese - doesn't age. Spanikopita heaven.

I always stored mine in brine- and it got even better and better. I mostly ate it crumbled on salads, and on several dishes that I love. Now I'm hungry for feta, thanks alot!

Back