Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > over carbonated?

Old 03-05-2008, 03:40 PM   #1
verbal
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default over carbonated?

This is my 4th batch of beer. I added the same pack of sugar i have used for all my kits, i get it form AHS and it is a small package of corn sugar p remeasured for carbonating. IT has been 2 weeks since the beer was in the bottles and I have opened about 5 now and EVERY time, it foams like crazy for a few minutes till about half the beer has foamed out the bottle. I don't understand it. there was a tiny tiny amount of white stuff floating on top of the beer in each bottle, is it some sort of bacteria? Does anyone have any ideas?

Drinking:Dark Copper Ale
Bottle conditioning: Dark Copper Ale,Cream of Wheat
Primary #1: EdWort's Apfelwein
Primary #2:Superior Strong Ale
Primary #3:Orange Kolsch
Secondary: none
planning:A stout of some sort(any ideas?) or AHB's Arrogant Bastard

Old 03-05-2008, 03:57 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2867 Times on 1696 Posts
Likes Given: 3510

Yeah...you opened them a week to soon. The white stuff is yeast that hasn't settled and means that the carbonation/conditioning process is not complete.(Sometimes it actually forms a visible krausen in the neck, that will settle back down.)

Most of the CO2 will work itself back into the beer, carbonating and conditioning it.

3 weeks bottle conditioning (at room temp) then a week in the fridge and everything should be fine.

One thing, what temp are you storing them at while they condition.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-05-2008, 04:07 PM   #3
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I would chill them down now. If after 3-4 days they still foam out then I think you may have a problem.

Old 03-05-2008, 04:19 PM   #4
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I definitely think you have an infection. No amount of under carbing would do that. The foaming is because the co2 is in the beer. If it was out it would just hiss more.

Sorry, gushers for sure.
BOTTLED: "Route 66 IPA" 7% ABV, "Dave's Imperial Stout" 12% ABV , "Spider Imperial Stout" 9%ABV , "Mutt Irish Ale" 7% ABV, "Sorta Sierra" IPA's 4.4% ABV, "Habanero Ales" 5.5% ABV, "Pumpkin Seed Ale" 5.5% ABV , "Marzen" Lager, "Step child Ale",
PRIMARies: "Caramel Amber" , "Black Porter"
SECONDARIES:1 :"Miller Ale"
On DECK: Another Russian Stout