1st All-grain: Fly or Batch? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > 1st All-grain: Fly or Batch?
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Old 03-05-2008, 02:59 PM   #1
inhifistereo
Recipes 

Feb 2008
Madison, WI

I'm hoping to do my first all-grain in a few weeks and I wanted a few opinions.

Should I make a sparge arm and try to fly sparge, or should I try and not complicate my first time out by just batch sparging? I realize its a matter of personal taste but getting input from everyone is a nice way to help influence my own choice.

Old 03-05-2008, 03:01 PM   #2
Professor Frink

Recipes 

Sep 2006
San Diego, CA
Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts

You can go either way, but batch sparging requires less equipment, if you want to get that first AG under your belt. You can always upgrade to fly sparging later.

On tap:Amber Ale
Milk Stout

Lagering:

http://www.lazydogbrewery.com

Old 03-05-2008, 03:02 PM   #3
mot
Recipes 

Mar 2007
MN
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

http://hbd.org/cascade/dennybrew/

then listen to his podcast on basic brewing radio to great info

Old 03-05-2008, 03:20 PM   #4
blacklab

Recipes 

Nov 2007
Portland, ME
Liked 48 Times on 27 Posts

batch-do a search on this site for details. Much easier, and although you will obtain greater efficiency with fly, most of the guys around here get 70-80% with batch.

Old 03-05-2008, 03:28 PM   #7
Blender

Recipes 

Jan 2006
Santa Cruz, CA.
Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

I'm a batch sparger. It cannot get any easier, then save your money for a mill and your set.

Old 03-05-2008, 03:28 PM   #8
Soulive

Recipes 

Mar 2007
The Middle of NJ
Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts

+1 for batch sparging

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count

Old 03-05-2008, 03:38 PM   #9
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Dec 2007
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
Liked 146 Times on 118 Posts

I don't know what extra equipment everyone is talking about. I suppose a false-bottom is suggested. If you have a braid, I am sure fly sparging would work, but then I would likely go with batch.

However, if you have a FB or don't mind making/buying one, I think fly sparging is much easier. It just makes more sense to me and is extremely easy. pour water in and drain wort out. Really, that's it. I don't understand why people think batch sparging is easier. It is quicker but, the extra 10 minutes or whatever just doesn't make that big a difference to me.

I did my first 6 AG without a sparge arm and I do not see it making an difference at all in my current batches. Go fly sparging

Old 03-05-2008, 03:40 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 7368 Times on 5208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij Kabouter
I don't know what extra equipment everyone is talking about. I suppose a false-bottom is suggested. If you have a braid, I am sure fly sparging would work, but then I would likely go with batch.

However, if you have a FB or don't mind making/buying one, I think fly sparging is much easier. It just makes more sense to me and is extremely easy. pour water in and drain wort out. Really, that's it. I don't understand why people think batch sparging is easier. It is quicker but, the extra 10 minutes or whatever just doesn't make that big a difference to me.

I did my first 6 AG without a sparge arm and I do not see it making an difference at all in my current batches. Go fly sparging

Well, the extra equipment that I would need to fly sparge would be a sparge arm, and an HLT. I don't have either. I don't know how you'd pour the water in and drain it out the way you suggest without that. You'd have to trickle it in by hand, and then set the run off to the same level. I'm confused as to how you're doing yours- could you explain better to me? Thanks!