Wow... what a winter - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Wow... what a winter

Old 03-05-2008, 02:09 PM   #1
mrfocus
Recipes 

Oct 2007
Montreal, Canada
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

So, we've had a huge amount of snow (we're a few storms from beating the record in 1971) and today there's tiny hail.

Well, the local buses aren't going around I guess so no university for me and SWMBO today. We waited almost half an hour and nothing. Plus both the profs that we had classes with today are the kind that would not come in with these kinds of conditions. Too bad.
On tap: Maudite clone, Double Munchen, Oktoberfeast, Oktoberfest Pilsner
Planning: Brewed in 2011: 22 (2010: 15, 2009: 29, 2008: 21, 2007: 1)
Wine made in 2010: 6 kits (2009: 19, 2008: 30)

Old 03-05-2008, 02:28 PM   #2
Glibbidy

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Sunny Southern Vermont
Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts

Snow is good. I hope you have the resources available today to make some beer. That's always a good way to kill some time if you can't get out and ski or ride.

Old 03-05-2008, 02:38 PM   #3
Jumbo82

Recipes 

Dec 2007
Plymouth, New Hampshire
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Central New Hampshire has been hit hard this year too. A snow gauge in my parents front yard that sticks up 40 inches is completely buried. Even my dad can't remember a winter where we had this much snow. I just checked to see how close to a record we are, and according to a newspaper article written last Sunday;

"Concord had pulled to within 13.5 inches of snapping the all-time record of 122 inches, set in 1873-74. Receiving normal snowfall from here on out would put this winter atop all others in 139 years of record-keeping."

I love going snowmobiling and enjoy watching all the chaos that these storms cause. It would be fun to see another foot of snow fall, but at the same time I'm ready for spring so I can finally start all grain brewing on my back patio.

Old 03-05-2008, 02:59 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Willamina & Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Liked 151 Times on 142 Posts

I suspect this trend will continue. Less and thinner ice in the Arctic ocean can only mean more moisture available for snow.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 03-05-2008, 03:00 PM   #5
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Nov 2006
Ohio
Liked 62 Times on 54 Posts

We hardly got any here in central Ohio this year. We don't get anywhere near as much as NE or Canada obviously, but I bet we didn't even break 20 inches total so far this year.

Old 03-05-2008, 03:01 PM   #6
g_rath
Recipes 

Sep 2007
Maine, Portland and Beyond.
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I hear that, I can no longer see my fence or my deck. I am getting some serous cabin fever. The only good side is that snow is great for cooling wort when you don’t have a chiller.

Planed: more cider.
Primary: empty
Secondary:Dry hopped amber ale, Does Equis clone.
Keged:Pumpkin spice, wizen.
Bottled: Hard cider, Oaked bourbon vanilla cider, Vanilla Porter.

Old 03-05-2008, 03:15 PM   #7
RobertHSmith
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Denver, CO
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm originally from Atlanta, GA and have never really seen "snow." So when I moved to Rochester, MN last year I didn't know what to expect. In GA, when there is a hint of snow every one panics, schools close and people drive 5mph if it even starts to flury.

I did a contract job in Minneapolis for a couple of months and was told that it had been about 10 years since they had had a real Minnesota winter and this one just might be a real MN winter. My second day on the job it started to snow in the cities. My boss told me to head home at 1pm since he knew my commute was long. I got home at 8 that evening with 8 new inches on the ground in Rochester and a smiling landlord clearing the snow from the sidewalk..."welcome to Minnesota!" he says. Jeeze.

So now that I've been here a few months and experienced new snow about ever second or third day I would say that I like the snow. We're getting another inch today...but that isn't anything like lake effect snow that some of you are getting..

Old 03-05-2008, 03:27 PM   #8
EricK The Red

Recipes 

Sep 2006
Upstate NY (Southern Quebec)
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

mrfocus, I'm not far south of you (Plattsburgh), we should meet up this spring sometime.

SWMBO has a snowday today & our local mall is closed due to weather. I've never seen the mall close for snow...

Primary 1: Cheesefood's Vanilla Carmel Cream Ale
Primary 2: EdWort's Apfelwein w/Montrachet
Primary 3: EdWort's Apfelwein w/Nottingham
Secondary: IPA
Kegged & Conditioning: Northern Brewer ESB
On tap: I.P.A. (BB Kit)
Bottled & aging: American Nut Brown Ale

On deck: Fat Tyre Clone, Irish Red & More IPA!

"Beer is a vegetable"

Old 03-05-2008, 03:35 PM   #9
Melana
Up to no good....

Recipes 

May 2007
Norfolk, MA
Liked 2481 Times on 1360 Posts

No snow down here today... we had torrential rains early on.

Old 03-05-2008, 03:40 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3184 Times on 1883 Posts

We got another 8 inches down in Detroit today, which meant the University I worked at actually closed. So it's a snowday for me today...

At 6am after I confirmed no work today..I crawled back into bed, and just re-emerged 4 hours later... Life is sweet.

I may bottle today....Or not...I may do nothing...'Cause it's a SNOWDAY!!!

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew