Fruit Beer Avery's Liliko'i Kepolo clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MKLA

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Hoegaarden
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
None
Tasting Notes
Belgian Wit brewed with Passion Fruit
I like to brew Avery's White Rascal Recipe as my base beer, but you can do any wheat beer as your preference. At flameout, add either two or three 14 oz packets of Goya's Passion Fruit Pulp. I can always find some at the frozen section of a Mexican market. There are other brands I have seen, but some have preservatives, so be careful.

You can do the passion fruit after primary is done, but trust me, it isn't necessary. 3 packets at flameout is what I usually do, and it make a very passion fruit prominent beer. Nice and tart, and you don't need to wory about sanitation. I do it with just 2 packets if I want more of a wheat beer with passion fruit.

Be careful with the yeast, it is explosive. I sometimes use the Belgian Wit yeast as recommended, but often just use Safale-06 as it is easy and never produces much sulfur.

It's delicious, and a quick ferment so it is a quick way to fill an empty keg. Just be careful, or the keg will be empty again in no time :mug:

Just 50% 2-row, 50% Wheat Malt. For 5-gallons at 72% efficiency, that is 5lbs of each.

Since posting this, I have decided I like using 2 packets of passion fruit way more than 3. 3 packets is just a bit much, even when I doing 6-gallon batches.

I definitely plan on brewing this, seems like the perfect summer beer to have on tap. Was the 2 packets of passion fruit more similar to the actual beer or just better to your taste?

What is the best yeast to use to get that tartness? I really like the original beer and want to make sure the tartness is there. Maybe even a sour mash if needed?

I've had a few drinks of the new Bruery Frucht: Passionfruit, and it's very tart and has great passionfruit notes. This beer is less tart and more fruit, but I want to make sure that tart kick is there.

I don't think you need to sour mash. A lot of tartness comes from the fruit, not the yeast. Avery just uses Hoegaarden yeast, so Wyeast 3463 or WLP400. The passion fruit is very tart itself. Actually, the first time I brewed this, I thought it got infected because it was so sour from the passion fruit.

3 packets will make it nice and sour and very passion fruity. I now prefer 2 packets because I think it is closer to Avery's. Still has a bit of tartness and fruitiness, but tastes like beer opposed to fruit juice.

Awesome, thanks! It sounds like I'll definitely stick with two packets, I'd rather avoid over doing it with the passion fruit. Hopefully I'll brew this in the next couple of weeks so I'll let you know how it turns out.

Brewing this this weekend, using Avery's recipe. Love the Lilikoi Kepolo from Avery, hope mine tastes half as good. I had good luck with a cranberry.

Mine is in the kegerator carbing up. I omitted the coriander, and am debating if it was a good choice or not. I used 2 packets, after driving to 5 stores to find the stuff. 2 isn't overpoweringly fruity, but not as tart as I remembered. Or maybe not as crisp. Still need to give it a try full carbed. Either way, it should be a good summer sipper.

I actually just had this last night and want to clone it. Avery used Bravo and Sterling hops. How much of each did you add and how long of a boil? I couldn't find IBUs online of this beer so I have less to go off of for calculations.

I've used lilikoi for making a Wailua wheat clone from Kona Brewing and it was damned good.

Also, does anyone know a reliable online source for the passion fruit pulp? I'm in the midwest, and nobody around here carries it, even the Mexican and Asian groceries. Amazon has it, but the shipping costs are outrageous.

Mexican markets are the place to get it, I had to go to a few to find it. I think it needs to stay frozen to keep from spoiling.

Call around restaurant suppliers. Finer food restaurants will use this for cocktails or desserts. If the wholesaler won't give it to you ask a restaurant if they order it and sell it to you. I've done this for harder to find meat products

also, I punched in some numbers and got .5 oz or both bravo and sterling at 15 mintues for roughly 23 IBUS, close to Avery's 25. AAUs vary so this was for Bravo at 15.5% and Sterling at 8.7%

Last edited:
Oh no. Another great sounding beer. I need more carboys and temp controllers.

I haven't started this yet, but I made a recipe. Just waiting for the kegerator space to start it.

I figured I'd post an update since I've had this on tap for a few weeks now. Overall I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, definitely a drinkable beer for the summer. I think it's a solid clone recipe, my only issue is that I don't get the tartness that Liliko'l Kepolo has. I made no water adjustments and didn't track pH so its very possible that's why it's slightly off for me. Next batch I might try to brew the base beer and age it on a passion fruit puree instead.

IMG_5437.jpg

looks good. Whenever I get around to this, I was going to do a secondary aging as well.

Agreed on the lack of tartness. Mine seems just kind of like drinking passionfruit juice. Kinda thinking I should have left the coriander in the base recipe.

Came across this post and thought I would add the base beer info taken right from Avery's site:White Rascal - https://www.averybrewing.com/beers/white-rascal

Home Brew Recipe
RECIPE IS SCALED FOR 5–GALLON BATCH PRODUCTION
OG: 1.050
AE: 1.010
GRIST: 50% 2-Row, 50% Wheat
HOPS: 0.4 oz Bravo (15.6% AA) at 60 min, 0.07 oz Bravo (15.6% AA) at 30 min, 0.27 oz Sterling (6.8% AA) & 0.18 oz Hersbrucker (4.5% AA) at 0 min
SPICES: 0.31 oz Coriander, 0.06 oz Bitter Orange Peel, 0.25 oz Sweet Orange Peel added at end of boil
YEAST: Hoegaarden at 19 C for 75% of fermentation, then let climb as high as possible

I plan to do this one in time for summer. Love this fruit-packed brew!

5E406088-C0F7-4BBD-8747-A4B6730E5131.jpeg

Bottled this up today. 6.5% plus the fruit. Hydrometer sample was good. Ummm.

Back