Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Hey DIY'ers!

Old 03-04-2008, 07:36 PM   #1
Thirdeye
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Hey DIY'ers!

Anyone ever made their own kitchen cabinets? SWMBO and I want to update our kitchen without selling our souls to Satan. We're buying some nice Brazilian Teak flooring for the mid-level of our tri-level home that will extend into the kitchen. Problem is, our cabinets are crappy and not even close to matching the teak. And we dont really have wiggle room in the budget for buying new cabinets. So I was thinking I might try and make the boxes myself and then order the doors and drawer faces from somewhere.

I dont have any word working experience per se, but I am a quick learner, quite good with my hands, and have never failed to achieve anything I put my mind to.

Also, I have access to all the equipment...table saw, router, etc.

What say you HBT?

Old 03-04-2008, 07:43 PM   #2
PT934
Recipes 

plan ahead, make up a cut list. When you set your table saw, make all of your like size cuts together, and rough everything in at once. If you can do the frames, there is no reason not to go ahead with the face frames and doors. check out www.mcfeelys.com for good prices on drawer slides, screws, door handle jigs, & pretty much everything you need. I built my cabinets in my house for approx $2000 and I had a cabinet company price them at $12000. I also have a pretty nice shop at my disposal (custom concrete form shop).

Old 03-04-2008, 07:44 PM   #3
5 Is Not Enough
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Man ~Good~ cabinets are hard to build and the saws that provide the accuracy and capacity are pretty expensive.

What material were you thinking?

Have you considered rehab'ing the cabinets you have now? Some drawer guides, hinges, pulls and a faux finish may be cheaper / easier.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:08 PM   #4
Thirdeye
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Is Not Enough
Man ~Good~ cabinets are hard to build and the saws that provide the accuracy and capacity are pretty expensive.

What material were you thinking?

Have you considered rehab'ing the cabinets you have now? Some drawer guides, hinges, pulls and a faux finish may be cheaper / easier.
Material? Havent really thought that far ahead yet. Something that would go well with the teak would be number one priority, other than that, Im flexible. Live in Colorado where humidity isnt really an issue.

I have thought about refacing the cabinets I have now. It seems sort of ghetto though, slapping veneer(sp?) on 20 yr old cabinets. I would have to get new doors anyway. The door frames are Ok but the faces are that thin, cheap wood that you can punch a hole through with your finger like martial arts master in Remo Williams.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:33 PM   #5
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 30

There is a good link below to a DIY forum run by TX I think.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:39 PM   #6
Ryan_PA
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Dude, do yourself a favor and buy the cabinets. The cost of the frame is not where you get killed in the cabinets, it is the door's paneling. For the time/effort/quality of making your own, you are better off just getting some stock cabinets from a kitchen and bath store. Remember, everythin (outside of HD and Lowes) is negotiable. I did mine last year and paid 45% of list. Where are you located?

Old 03-04-2008, 09:42 PM   #7
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 222 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It is not hard to do if you have a good table saw. Maybe build a couple cabinets for your garage first to how it goes. If there is a good hardwood store in your area they can help you out quite a bit. I did a kitchen a couple years ago with MDF, you can get either veneered or laminated. Veneered looks much batter but requires staining.

As for the doors and faces, there are several options to consider, with or without the face frames. Making the drawers is relatively easy.

Go to your local Home Despot and take a careful look at what they have to see how it is constructed.

Good luck with the project!

Old 03-04-2008, 10:13 PM   #8
wihophead
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have no idea were you are from but if you want great cabinets and a good price contact your local Amish community if you have one....their craftsmanship here in Wisconsin is outstanding.

A friend of mine has them do work for him quite a bit, unfortunately he has to drive out to talk to them any time he needs something since they don't have a phones....lol

Old 03-04-2008, 10:54 PM   #9
Thirdeye
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wihophead
I have no idea were you are from but if you want great cabinets and a good price contact your local Amish community if you have one....their craftsmanship here in Wisconsin is outstanding.

A friend of mine has them do work for him quite a bit, unfortunately he has to drive out to talk to them any time he needs something since they don't have a phones....lol
Funny you mention the Amish. Half of my family is Amish! Well, Menonite. Same thing basically. SWMBO's side of the family. I guess she was the black sheep. Unfortunately they are all out in Ohio.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:49 AM   #10
MikeFlynn74

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Im going to be doing the same thing-

I reeeeaallly do not look forward to it. But I am not paying $15000

Originally Posted by Tenchiro View Post
The successful have nobody to blame but themselves, I really wish they would take some responsibility for their own actions...