Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > What happens if Straight-A is not rinsed?

Old 03-04-2008, 07:04 PM   #1
maltMonkey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default What happens if Straight-A is not rinsed?

I use Straight-A sanitizer (a rinse sanitizer similar to OxyClean--I think) and occasionally I'll forget to rinse something off after sanitizing. I've looked long and hard for a "straight" answer (pun intended) on what the effect of this is. The company's website says "You should always rinse after using Straight-A because it is an alkaline product and it might throw off the acid balance of your beer or wine." Anyone know what the implications of this are?

Old 03-04-2008, 07:26 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2868 Times on 1696 Posts
Likes Given: 3510

Googling Straight A, as well as the website shows me only straight A cleanser, not sanitizer. (Oxyclean is also a cleanser, not a sanitizer btw.)

So neither of them santize, just clean. You still should use a sanitizer such as iodophor or starsan....

Here's a good thread from awhile back, that discusses it the difference. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=54932

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-04-2008, 07:46 PM   #3
maltMonkey
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I'm almost positive the label says "Cleanser/Sanitizer", but I'll have to check it again when I get home. I found a description online here ( I think it's the same stuff)...

Old 03-04-2008, 07:50 PM   #4
Revvy

Recipes 

THey say cleanser there as well.... I explain the difference in terms of the "definitions" of CLeansers and Sanitizers in this post on the thread I reffered you to. Here's the single post.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost...91&postcount=2

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-04-2008, 08:00 PM   #5
maltMonkey
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I don't know what it is--that site actually says "Combination cleaner and sanitizer", but I'll take your word for it.

At any rate, any idea what effects it could have on the beer if it's not all rinsed off?

Old 03-04-2008, 08:11 PM   #6
Revvy

Recipes 

Somewhere I had posted the kill ratios of cleansers and sanitizers, and the FDA designation. But can't find it.

With the no-rinse sanitizers there's no effect (in fact Starsan residue becomes yeast food.)

With the cleanser type products I think the biggest problem would be a funky, soapy taste in your brew...and if you didn't rinse the bottles thoroughly it would kill head retention.

The worst case would be that the acidity might tank the yeast...but it seems to me if you followed the dillution ratio of the product, you'd probably have to dump your beer into a couple inches of cleanser in the bottom of your fermenter, not just the residue before it would do any damage.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:15 PM   #7
maltMonkey
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Ah, that's what I was looking for--thanks!

I've been wanting to switch to Star San, I just can't find a good deal on it from any of my normal online merchants.....too many $$$.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:19 PM   #8
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by maltMonkey
Ah, that's what I was looking for--thanks!

I've been wanting to switch to Star San, I just can't find a good deal on it from any of my normal online merchants.....too many $$$.
If you decide to switch to iodophor instead, you can find a gallon of the same concentrated Iodine for between 8 and 20 bucks in a farm and feed store. Only it's used to sterilize cow's udders and milking equiptment. A lot of people on here have been using it. And a gallon of concentrate lasts for years.

Old 03-05-2008, 01:45 PM   #9
maltMonkey
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy
If you decide to switch to iodophor instead, you can find a gallon of the same concentrated Iodine for between 8 and 20 bucks in a farm and feed store. Only it's used to sterilize cow's udders and milking equiptment. A lot of people on here have been using it. And a gallon of concentrate lasts for years.
Great tip....I will have to look for that. We have plenty of farm & feed stores in Kansas

Old 03-05-2008, 03:06 PM   #10
solidghost
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I didn't know iodophor is made out of iodine!
My local medical store carries iodine.