Cream Ale Heileman's Special Export - 70's Retro Beer - Extract & All Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Safale US-05 ( for Hybrid Ale) or Saflager S-23 for Lager
Yeast Starter
None - Pitch Dry Yeast 1 packet
Batch Size (Gallons)
5 gallons
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
SRM 6
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 days at 62-72F with Safale....
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
None
Tasting Notes
See posts. below
The starter thread

Extract Recipe on Malt.io

All Grain Recipe on Malt.io

special-export-081-26-3.jpg

Extract

Malt
- 6.6 lbs Pale LME
- 1.0 lb of Crystal 10L

Hop Additions
- Perle 0.5oz @ 60 min.
- Tetnnanger 0.5oz @ 60 min.
- Hallertauer Mittelfruh 0.5oz @ 10 min.

Yeast
- Safale US-05, 1 package.

Steep
- 1lb 10L Crystal Malt in 1 gal water during water heating. Not to exceed 160F.
- After 20 minutes and hitting max steep temp, pull grain and top up to 6 gallons.

Boil
- 6 gallon boil.

Post-Boil
- Crash chill, aerate and pitch US-05.

ALL Grain. deere322 AG version

Originally Posted by deere322 View Post
Here's what I've come up with for this on Beersmith with grain and yeast I have on hand. now to head to the LHBS for hops.

Speciale Export
8 lbs 13.6 oz Golden Promise (Simpsons) (4.0 SRM) Grain 1 89.8 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 15L (15.0 SRM) Grain 2 10.2 %
0.50 oz Perle [8.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 16.4 IBUs
0.50 oz Tettnang (Tettnang Tettnager) [5.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 10.3 IBUs
0.50 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [2.70 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 5 1.1 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml]
Mash at 150 for 60

Est Original Gravity: 1.048 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.009 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.1 %
Bitterness: 27.8 IBUs
Est Color: 6.4 SRM

My lower level stays at a constant 59-62 degrees so this should work out well during fermentation.
Critiques please, btw.

Tasting Notes - For Extract Version.

Tasting notes are for flat, warm beer, right from the fermentor. This is at 4 weeks old.

The SpEx has nice dark gold color, quite a bit darker than my oatmeal pale ale that's about like miller GD color. Its probably right at SRM of 6.

The clarity is pretty good, yeast has settled out well. Near perfect in this respect. I added gelatin for absolute clarity. Did so while racking to the keg.

It has a spicy hop nose. Nice subtle hop fragrance.

I don't taste any malt or residual sweetness, the hop taste, light that it is, seems to be more prominent then anything else and it leaves a nice spicy finish. The fact that its warm I think the hop flavor stands out more. Served cold, I think it will very balanced.

I can't detect any yeast esters whatsoever. Expected for US-05.

Once carbed and cold this will be a pretty damned good spring brew.

attachment.php

----

Tasting Notes - For All Grain Version

Originally Posted by deere322

Couldn't help myself. First pour out of the keg that's been sitting since saturday on gelatin yielded a semi hazy looking beer, great white tight bubbled cap and glugg lacing stripes indicating the number of my sips.

Aroma of spicy bread/cracker malt notes, earthy mint like hops that's gentle. But it has a subtle lager quality that I get even though it's us-05.

Taste is, well, too damn easy drinking, balanced malt with gentle bitterness with a dry finish. Never even comes close to sweet at all. Finishes with a combo of malt and lingering hop dryness that makes me want more.

Mouth feel is somewhat medium bodied, not watery at all but with a substantial fullness that's not overwhelming.

Damnnit I've already had a couple on a school night and am feeling the effects from it's 7+% abv.

This is a f-in keeper.

attachment.php

Final note......

Mistake #1
Don't let friends and neighbors know you brewed a tasty beer.
Its almost gone.
Next time, I'll brew it as a lager.

Here are my readings for this beer -
OG - 1.058
FG - 1.000

7.52% abv (rechecked for accuracy)

Now keep in mind, I've only started brewing again (25 years off) in September and this was my second run on my 70 qt mash tun (BIAB before) and I'm in awe of these numbers using US-05.
It also was my first ferment in my new Big Mouth Bubbler, watching the ferment was an absolute hoot. It made me realize and witness that fermentation takes place even without any action in the air lock.
It must have been the "Perfect Storm"!

Honestly, this is a 5 star beer hands down! :rockin:
Neighbors and friends loved it. :tank:
I'm sad it's gone. Time to brew again.

I figured it wouldn't last long, it's a very tasty beer. Kudos for the recipe!

I have the Patriot on my short "to brew list".

Well, I brewed the all grain version yesterday. Came in kind of low at 1.044 for 5 gal, but I was about 1/4 lb short on GP so we'll see. Also, I forgot the S-05 at the home brew store so it's on some harvested Nottingham I had. Can't wait to try it out! :)

Well, I brewed the all grain version yesterday. Came in kind of low at 1.044 for 5 gal, but I was about 1/4 lb short on GP so we'll see. Also, I forgot the S-05 at the home brew store so it's on some harvested Nottingham I had. Can't wait to try it out! :)

You should be good to go. What got me on this beer is the hop flavor.

Sorry, forgot to update. Very crisp and refreshing, love the Golden Promise. The only reason it looks cloudy in the pic is due to condensate on the glass, very clear. Can't wait to do this one again with some fresh S05.

20160512_202356.jpg

Sorry, forgot to update. Very crisp and refreshing, love the Golden Promise. The only reason it looks cloudy in the pic is due to condensate on the glass, very clear. Can't wait to do this one again with some fresh S05.

I did another version of this with T-58. Just kegged it yesterday. Its quite a bit different tasting. The spicy hop taste is not as pronounced. That's probably because of the yeast.

Mashing right now.
Crisp Pale
American 2 row
American 6 row
Crystal 15
The usual hop bill but I'm going to toss in some BRY-97.
Should be interesting!

One of the best all purpose beers I have ever tasted. This is now a standard brew to have on tap. My wife who does not usually like beer loves this stuff, so that should be a huge endorsement. :mug:

This may be on tap for the holidays at my place, all I need to do is get off my tail and brew it, nice and simple recipes make me happy!

After conditioning/carbing in the keg for 3 weeks, sadly I may have to drain pour it.
I think my ferment temps got a little high with the BRY-97 which yielded a green apple flavor and aroma.
Might let it sit for another two weeks and see if the acetaldehyde dissipates.
The "use by" date on the packet of BRY-97 was 9/16 which led me to believe that the yeast was at it's life's end and didn't totally do it's job.
:mad:

Pitch a rehydrated new yeast. Like S05 and add some amalyse enzyme (AE). 1 teaspoon per 5 gallons. Dilute the AE with a little distilled water.

The thought here is get the enzyme to break everything down it can into simple sugars. Then crank the final gravity to zero.

Let it sit for a few weeks.

BTW - What's the gravity now?

Brewing a variation of this tomorrow with hops I had on hand and using lager yeast.
It's been too long since I made this.

8 lbs 13.6 oz Barke Pilsner (Weyermann) (1.7 SRM) Grain 1 89.8 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (15.0 SRM) Grain 2 10.2 %
0.50 oz Challenger [6.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 11.6 IBUs
0.50 oz Liberty [3.90 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 7.4 IBUs
1.10 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 5 -
0.50 oz Hallertau [3.80 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 6 1.4 IBUs

SafLager German Lager (DCL/Fermentis #S-189) [23.66 ml]

90 min mash @ 150
90 min boil

OG - 1043
FG - 1010
4.4% abv

I need to make a beer for tailgating. Bears vs Packers!

This might just have too be that beer. I'm gonna make a 10 gal batch for the event.

I need to make a beer for tailgating. Bears vs Packers!

This might just have too be that beer. I'm gonna make a 10 gal batch for the event.

We tailgate in the south lot. My buddy has an Ambulance painted blue and orange. We will have some food going. I usually make homemade brat patties for the packer game. I'll trade you a beer for a brat!

Using the Brulosophy quick lager method and the quick carb method, I'll be drinking this tonight.

Finished out at 1004 5% abv.
I'll post a pic later tonight.

Football Sunday Import pic.
Very good, not really Export like but tasty non the less.
View attachment IMG_1782.jpg

I need to make this again....

I can lager over Xmas. My heat will be turned down close to lager temps over Xmas break. 3 weeks might be adequate.

I'm also hoping to recreate this fine beer from my youth. Besides the pleasing crispness and bite, I want to get the robust carbonation of the original. Brand new to brewing. Just started a 2.5 gal. batch of hard cider. The "X" will come next. Basement temp should be good for a nice long ferment. If it is good I will keg it as opposed to bottling.

An old, old thread but I am just now seeing it. It caught my eye because I live about 15 minutes away from where the Heileman Brewery once stood in Frankenmuth Michigan. It used to crank out over a million barrels a year at its peak. There is a tourist mall on the site now.

GH-Frankenmuth-2.jpg

Latest posts

Back