Possible stuck fermentation? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Possible stuck fermentation?

Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2008, 02:55 AM   #1
Mar 2008
Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 207
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

For my first batch, I used a 1.8kg can of John Bull India Pale Ale LME and a 1.6kg can of light LME (7.5lbs total LME) to make a 5 gal. batch. After adding cold water, I let the wort cool to 72 F, and measured the OG at 1.052. I sprinkled an 11g package of Windsor brewing yeast on top and closed the lid on my fermenting bucket. That was Tuesday morning. About 10 hours later, the first bubbles started coming out of the airlock. By Wednesday morning, it's bubbling pretty good.

Then Wednesday evening, I did something stupid. I thought It would be better to move it to the basement where I thought the temp was about 65F. I check on it the next afternoon, and the temp is actually 60F, and all airlock activity had stopped completely. I brought it back upstairs, let it warm up, and rocked/swirled the bucket a bit to try to suspend the yeast again. The specific gravity at this point was 1.020 (Thursday evening). The airlock started bubbling a little, so I thought I would be ok. But I just took another gravity reading (Monday evening), and it's still 1.020, maybe 1.019. I really don't think it's done fermenting. Should I add more yeast?

Thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:33 PM   #2
Jan 2008
Houston, TX
Posts: 577
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

It has only been 6 days right? If so, just let it sit and take another reading in another few days. I made the mistake of racking to the secondary too soon, don't make the same mistake I did.

Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:49 PM   #3
Apr 2007
Livonia, MI
Posts: 100

What is the FG you're targeting?

It does sound like you're stuck, but patients is definitely necessary. I'd let it go for several more days before taking any action besides an occasional good swirling.

I've posted before that I had a stuck fermentation, and to remedy I was advised to throw in some yeast re-energizer (available at LHBS's), and to re-aerate. The yeast re-energizer cant hurt anything as it is sold to fix stuck fermentations specifically, but re-aerating is definitely risky (I got beat up a little for forwarding this advise). Talk to somebody who really knows what they are doing before aerating if you decide to go this route. These methods worked for me, and the beer turned out great. I was past two weeks in the primary before I took any action, and I was stuck at around 1.030.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Drinking: Apfelwine
Bottle conditioning:
Secondary: Double Chocolate Stout
Primary #1: AHS imperial Amber
Primary #2:
planning: always more apfelwine, time to get some summer beer going!

Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 02:09 PM   #4
ohiobrewtus's Avatar
Nov 2006
Posts: 7,785
Liked 63 Times on 55 Posts

I would also recommend waiting - possibly as much as 3-5 days, then take another gravity reading. If it still hasn't changed, pitch more yeast if you have it.

Originally Posted by the_bird
Well, if you *love* it.... again, note that my A.S.S. has five pounds.

Reply With Quote
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stuck fermentation...finished fermentation...? arover Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 04-08-2009 03:05 AM
Stuck Fermentation - I Know... Not another Stuck Fermentation Thread :( Jewrican General Techniques 23 04-07-2009 12:53 AM
Fermentation Stuck Berserker Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 12-09-2008 07:45 PM
Fermentation Stuck?? Kbone054 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 13 11-15-2006 06:49 PM
is it stuck fermentation?? jbcavman Extract Brewing 3 02-01-2006 02:43 AM

Forum Jump