Keg Connection New Inline Flow Control Valve Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > BeerSmith and it's crazy sparge temps
Old 03-03-2008, 05:39 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Originally Posted by wildwest450
I may try this in the future, but im only working with one burner and 2 pot's (ones my brew kettle), and this would further complicate things. I suppose I could run my lazy butt to the kitchen and boil there.
That's all I have. I drain my runnings into a bucket while I heat sparge water in my brew kettle.

Primary/Secondary: #122 American Wheat
Kegged: #121 IPA
Planned: Smoked Cali Common
Old 03-04-2008, 01:30 AM   #12
Liked 14 Times on 4 Posts

The sparge water temperature is set in the Details of the Mash Profile. The default is 168.0F. That is why it always tells you to use 168.0F water. The best thing to do is to dial in your own setup to see what temperature of water you need to end up around 168F on a batch sparge. Then you can enter that number into the mash profile.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:13 AM   #13
Liked 166 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Also remember that when you pick your mash profile, you have the option of a mash-out or not. If you choose not to, yet you still want to raise the temp of your grainbed, then you have to over-ride the default sparge temp of 168. Doing it this way is not the typical schedule, but it is easy to do in the software.

After all, it is just software. It can't do it all for you. But it is surprisingly good at doing the typical things very well.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:32 AM   #14
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

After I figure out the final recipe, I go to the "strike/infusion temp" and input all my #'s for the target temp to be 168 with the water volume being half the sparge water. Usually I have to use about 8.9 qts at 193, then 8.9 quarts at 170 for the second half of the sparge since the grains are already at 168.

Whatever I figure out in numbers, I put into the notes of the recipe so I don't have to think about it on brew day.

If you do a mashout, the grain will already be at 168, so just sparge with 168. If you choose a mashout schedule, the software will tell you what you need to get to the mashout temp.
Being Dealt (kegged): Carbed Crystal light lemonade for the boys, Delta Bravo IPA, Applewinder
Primary: Climbing stout
Primary #2: ESB
Big Blind: Pucker Bitter
Small Blind:
Tasty Remembrances: White 'N Nerdy, Dynamite Red (Hop bursted), APA, The Bonaduce (irish Red), runners stout, ridgeback brown,

from my big ass computer sitting on my floor

Old 03-19-2008, 07:03 PM   #15
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Is it possible your thermometer is incorrect? Thermometers (expect scientific mercury-type thermometers) rarely have a linear response across the full band of temperatures they support. If you calibrate a thermometer in ice water, it will be most accurate when the temperature is closest to freezing, but less accurate at boiling. Use two thermometers calibrated at two different points, freezing and boiling, and take the average reading.

However, you can always adjust the specific heat used in the mash tun calculations, either by choosing an alternative substance or by changing the default factor.