Colorado brewing systems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shortsnout

Reaction score
I've been eyeballing the "down under" system and was wondering if anyone has any experience using it?

I have a Colorado Brew Systems 15 gallon system and love it , have done about ten batches with it and it works well !

cobs15.jpg

I have a Colorado Brew Systems 15 gallon system and love it , have done about ten batches with it and it works well !

I just bought a 20 gallon kettle from them -- how do you like having the temp probe near the bottom like that? It seems like there's not a viable option for a TC thermowell, so I'm probably going to do a TC->FPT like it looks like you've got.

Colorado Brewing Systems are great!

if you would like more information and help, feel free to direct message me
thanks

I just bought a 20 gallon kettle from them -- how do you like having the temp probe near the bottom like that? It seems like there's not a viable option for a TC thermowell, so I'm probably going to do a TC->FPT like it looks like you've got.

Probe is near the bottom so it clears the bottom of the grain basket , this works very well with the recirculation ensuring fairly even temps . Hope this helps

Looks like you have the basket. How many pounds of grain can you fit in that BIAB? I'm looking at pulling the trigger but using it with the false bottom as a MLT. Any issues with 5 gallon batches?

Anyone have the solid-sided baskets? How do you like them? Can you get a pretty good efficiency without sparging?

Looks like you have the basket. How many pounds of grain can you fit in that BIAB? I'm looking at pulling the trigger but using it with the false bottom as a MLT. Any issues with 5 gallon batches?

I do mainly 5 - 6 gallon batches with no issues . 13 lbs of grain will fill the basket a little more than half way . hope this helps

I hope to have the nano 20g system soon. I still need to get the electrical set up but after that I can report back.

if any of you are really interested in Colorado Brewing Systems and would like more information to pull the trigger, feel free to Direct Message me

I have my system plumbed very similarly, but with one notable difference: I have a three way valve on the entrance of my plate chiller and divert around it except at the end when I recirculate through to sterilize then chill. It looks like you are recirculating through the entire time! Is that the case? Or do you not circulate in your system until the very end?

I have my system plumbed very similarly, but with one notable difference: I have a three way valve on the entrance of my plate chiller and divert around it except at the end when I recirculate through to sterilize then chill. It looks like you are recirculating through the entire time! Is that the case? Or do you not circulate in your system until the very end?

I recirculate the entire time

Hey all glad to see this thread I just purchased the nano Brewer home edition and Tim is helping me get upgraded to the 20 gallon kettle. The wait for production is killing me but I am sure it is going to be worth it!

I see some of you were talking about plate chillers I went counter flow on Tims recommendation. Anyone using a counter flow?

You know the tube that fixes to the top of the basket that whirlpools the wort in the basket. How far down the inside wall of the basket does it reach please?

You know the tube that fixes to the top of the basket that whirlpools the wort in the basket. How far down the inside wall of the basket does it reach please?

The tube you mention is silicone , you can cut it to the length you desire

The tube you mention is silicone , you can cut it to the length you desire

On the nano brewer it is a stainless tube rather than silicone hose. Tim told me on the new systems it isn't welded to the basket which allows you to use it for whirl pooling after the boil.

I'm contemplating buying a colorado brew system vs the grainfather. Anyone have opinions on the pros/cons of each choice?

I'm contemplating buying a colorado brew system vs the grainfather. Anyone have opinions on the pros/cons of each choice?

I have the same question but more the Brew Boss vs CBS? For the 20 gallon system I calculate $1800 vs $2200 according to each web site.

I went through the same thing ended up biting the bullet I am sure the grainfather is great but the 240v vs. 120 sold me.

As someone who is building his 3rd system. 5 gallon the 10 gallon now going 1 bbl. The GF may be great but you should be sure you're gonna be OK making that size batches going forward. My advice is if you have the means buy the biggest you ever think you may want and save the time and money of doing it again in the future.

One nice thing about elec brew Riga espec is how well they hold value. No point in going larger on a what if my opinion, but I do think the co brews are better deal than gf

Totally off topic here but I have a question. I'm just about to use my new electric system with a 5500 watt element. When I'm done with the mash do I just crank it full bore? No need to stir just let it get to boil?

Totally off topic here but I have a question. I'm just about to use my new electric system with a 5500 watt element. When I'm done with the mash do I just crank it full bore? No need to stir just let it get to boil?

After the mash you set the controller to a percentage of its maximum power for the boil . I usually start at 80% and back off to around 70% once its started boiling . Hope this helps

After the mash you set the controller to a percentage of its maximum power for the boil . I usually start at 80% and back off to around 70% once its started boiling . Hope this helps

Why don't you crank it to 100 and then back off?

Back