American Lager Oyster Bay American Pilsner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HamiltonBrian

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
2 pkg Saflager West European Lager DCL Fermentis #S23
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
22 days at 50F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days at 62F
Tasting Notes
Light and dry on the back end. Some sauv blanc fruit flavours.
11# Pilsner Malt (2SRM)
2.4oz Nelson Sauvin hops (11.3%AA)

Mashed in 165F water (treated with Camden tablets) for 75 minutes.

Fly-sparged with 6 gallons of 168F water.

Began boiling, with following hop schedule:

75min 0.25oz
60min 0.12oz
45min 0.25oz
30min 0.25oz
15min 0.25oz
5min 0.25oz
0min 1.00oz

It cooled ambiently then I just pitched the packages of yeast; didn't worry about a starter.

uOTca5Z.jpg
[/IMG]

WvmGzUa.jpg
[/IMG]

First real pilsner I've made with an actual lagering process, relying on cold winter temps. I truly loved it, as did a lot of the company I had over last weekend. After bottling some for competitions and for local homebrew group to sample next month, there's not a lot left.

The images show a pint along with the hydrometer; just kegged so it was a very fresh, uncarbonated glass. The second image is from last night...part of my run recovery regimen! :)

Well, this one may very well have to be brewed again. I'll have to see what I can tweak, but it took a bronze this summer. First medal in 25 years of brewing...but third year of entering competitions.

OK, so you added 165 water to get a 150 mash temp. That makes more sense.

What's your water profile/mash pH like? What was you fermentation temp/time/process?

I'm starting to brew some lagers now; seeing what others have success with is really helpful!

OK, so you added 165 water to get a 150 mash temp. That makes more sense.

What's your water profile/mash pH like? What was you fermentation temp/time/process?

I'm starting to brew some lagers now; seeing what others have success with is really helpful!

I am pretty lax when it comes to water treatment. I let the water sit out overnight to evaporate any chlorine. I add some Camden tabs to the water. Regarding fermentation...I have a fruit cellar in the basement, so from December to March, I have reasonable lagering temps to work with. I may have let this one ferment for 3 weeks, and then into the kegs. Was it really lagered? No, because it was being poured a couple of weeks afterward.

It was my first time using lager yeast and using a colder fermentation temp. All things considered, it was damn tasty. It's my go-to pilsner recipe...until I struggle getting Nelson Sauvin.

Latest posts

Back