Established...when?????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What year was my brewery established?

• 2005--the plan was in place, the equipment/ingredients were purchased

• 2006--until you pitch that yeast, you ain't no brewer

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, so I got my first beer kit and ingredients for x-mas in 2005, but I didn't actually brew the first batch until January 2006.

It is of my opinion that once the equipment and ingredients were purchased for the inaugural brew, that should be the established date, correct?

Or does it have to be the actual date that the first beer was made?

What say you guys?

Discuss.

When would you have considered yourself a brewer? When you owned the kit, or when you actually had made a batch? When you unwrapped that present, did you say to yourself "Yeah, I'm a brewer now!," or did you not think of yourself in those terms until the wort was boiling?

I'm gonna come down on the side of "2006."

You established your brewery when you set up your kit. I got my kit this past Christmas '07, but didn't brew my first batch til Jan 6, '08. My labels say Est. 2007, because that's when I established all of my equipment, my ingredients, and set my brewing goals.

the_bird said:
When would you have considered yourself a brewer? When you owned the kit, or when you actually had made a batch? When you unwrapped that present, did you say to yourself "Yeah, I'm a brewer now!," or did you not think of yourself in those terms until the wort was boiling?

I'm gonna come down on the side of "2006."

I don't disagree with that logic, but the brewery was pretty much in place in 2005. I had the ingredients and a solid brewday plan in place.

Just because I didn't fire up the burner until 2006, or actually have a fermenting product, I still lean more towards 2005 because I fully intended on starting up the brewery.

The plan was well into motion prior to January 06.

I don't know, that is why I asked! ;)

EDIT: Time for a poll!!!!!!!

I say when you got your kit should be the time when you began brewing. I'm not only a brewer when I'm in front of my kettle, the planning and such is just as important.

I have to vote to when you actually STARTED brewing, which was 2006. Until you brew, you aren't a brewer. Owning the kit was a prerequisite, of course, but until you actually mix malted barley, water, hops and yeast, you aren't a "true" brewer.

I don't think it matters if he was a brewer or not, he established his brewery when he bought his equipment. Established, not first brewed.

I voted for 2006.

I can understand the argument that the prep work counts as part of the brewing process, but on the other hand if a 15 year old buys a car, and starts studying the drivers manual in preparation for his 16th birthday, does that make him a driver?

I think not. He's not a driver until he gets behind the wheel.

I was wondering if Dude's memory was off. I joined in fall of 05 and he was a Mod. I know he was brewing then.

You didn't brew until '06 or '05 now that we found out that you can't remember two years back. So I voted '06. Just because I have a computer with MS word installed doesn't mean that I can say that I'm a novelist right now.

sause said:
Just because I have a computer with MS word installed doesn't mean that I can say that I'm a novelist right now.
No, but you can say that your publishing company was established right now...;)

It's all semantics...

If you're going to used "established," I'd say '04. If you were to go with "in operation since," or just "since," I'd go with '05.

2006. I had a buddy who has had his kit and a solid plan (that keeps getting backed up due to weddings, funerals, moving to a new house) - he's had his kit for 2 years. I dont think any of us would let him claim 2006 even though he hasn't brewed yet - even though he loves homebrew and reads up and plans to do his batch once the brew-room is officially ready in the new house.

I too have to fall on the 2006 side. After all, I'm sure there are stories even on thissite of people who got a Mr Beer or an Extract kit that sat in the basement for 2 years before they touched it.

Till you pitch, you haven't brewed.

Interesting that the sentiment in the thread seemed to definately be towards the earlier date, but the poll results are for the latter.

I voted 2005 because you have to start with preparation. If the question were about how long you've been brewing, I'd say since January 2006. Since the question is about when your brewery was established (I think), I say 2005...

It doesn't matter when you thought about it or when you bought the equipment. If you didn't brew it until '06, then it's '06.

the_bird said:
Uh, Dude.........

"Joined Forum: Jan '05"

You think maybe you got that kit for x-mas 2004, or were you doing research for a year? ;)

Wow, has it been that long? I'm such a *******.

Yuri_Rage said:
Wow, your first batch! ...was brewed in Jan 05. I think bird gotcha...

So, I change my vote to 2004. You established your brewery in '04 and made your first batch in '05.

Nice find. I still can't believe it has been that long.

Well, the evidence from the poll is quite overwhelming. Almost shocking.

Time flies, don't it? I'm in the same boat as you, just a year deferred. Got the kit for X-mas 2005, didn't brew until early 2006 (March or April). I definately didn't consider myself a brewer until 2006 - I mean, it's one thing to read the books and all, but it's not the same.

So, I'm coming up on my two-year anniversary pretty soon - It's pretty freakin' amazing how quickly it becomes such a huge part of our lives!

Jesse17 said:
...if a 15 year old buys a car, and starts studying the drivers manual in preparation for his 16th birthday, does that make him a driver?
No, he wasn't yet a driver, but his garage was established. Just like this guy wasn't yet a brewer, but his brewery was indeed established before he first brewed.

Back