Just how much sediment should I expect from US-04?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shade

Reaction score
I made a 10L all grain batch (around 2.5gal) in a smaller fermenter and used US-04 as the LHBS was out of US-05, which I normally use.

I added some dissolved gelatin after fermentation and crash cooled it for a couple of days and brought it back out yesterday (trying dry hop after crash cool, understanding that I'll get better hop utilization with less yeast floating about).

However, I look at it now, and I can see sediment floating through about three quarters of the fermenter, with only a couple of inches of clear at the top.

The yeast packet says High for sediment, but that seems crazy.

Is this to be expected or more likely a process failure on my part? Once my wort was cool, I did put the whole lot from my kettle into the fermenter, but passing through a strainer, so it doesn't have big floaties in it.

How much is "some" gelatin? Could it be that it's not yeast but beer jello that's floating?

How hot was the water?

Can you put this somewhere cold (like mid-30's) for a week or so? That may help drop out some of that gunk.

I microwaved it for 10-15 second bursts until it dissolved. I didn't take the temperature I have to confess, I've done it a few times and trusted myself (maybe foolishly) to judge when it was good to go.

I can crash cool it again after I take the dry hops out and see how I go, I guess that's all I have.

1 tablespoon? I think the guys here that make 5G batches use half a teaspoon... you might have beer Jell-o...

Completing the saga for any treading similar footsteps - it was fine. I crashed it again before bottling, then strained it in case there was anything chunky bits (not sure how risky that was). Didn't really get much through the strainer, yeast cake was pretty solid, pours pretty clear and tastes good. I should have just bottled it as it was.

So in the end, RDWHAHB etc.

Heck yea! Thanks for the follow up. I would think straining finished beer would be super risky depending on your setup. But if it tastes good don't let us tell you otherwise!

Back