Measuring gravity into boiler...adjust? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Measuring gravity into boiler...adjust?

Old 03-02-2008, 07:28 PM   #1
jzal8

Recipes 

Jun 2007
NJ

When I am measuring the gravity of my wort going into the boiler, should I be adjusting based on the actual temp of the wort? (120degrees F)

Old 03-02-2008, 08:02 PM   #2

If the temperature is anything other than what the hydrometer was calibrated for (usually 60F) you need to make the adjustment. 120F is pretty high though, I would stick it in the fridge for a couple minutes to bring the temp down.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 03-02-2008, 08:23 PM   #3
jzal8

Recipes 

Jun 2007
NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsul
If the temperature is anything other than what the hydrometer was calibrated for (usually 60F) you need to make the adjustment. 120F is pretty high though, I would stick it in the fridge for a couple minutes to bring the temp down.

Ok yea, I mean I usually take this reading as I start the boil, just after I collect the last of my wort, thats why its so hot. So I guess from now on i'll let it cool for a little first in the fridge.

Would you say it is good practice to always take the temp of my hydro samples for temp adjustment?

Old 03-02-2008, 08:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzal8
...Would you say it is good practice to always take the temp of my hydro samples for temp adjustment?
I'd say it's a necessity. If you don't the measurement you take isn't correct unless your sample happens to be at the calibration temperature.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station