Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Growler carbonation preservation idea

Old 03-02-2008, 03:41 PM   #1
korndog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default Growler carbonation preservation idea

I was thinking about using Teflon tape around the mouth of the growler to preserve carbonation for a bit. Anybody see any merit in this idea?

Thanks
KD

Twitter: LarryKonis

Old 03-03-2008, 03:05 PM   #2
KiltLifter
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 4 Posts

The threads don't do the sealing, the flat underside of the cap does. I've saved a number of plastic caps for mine that seal well. One of them even has a valve on it so I can add gas (yes, I know, dangerous, but the thing had 10 PSI from the original beer anyway, right?). If you refill it at a pub, don't bring a cap cuz they'll put a new one on (and often throw away your old one).

Old 03-03-2008, 05:00 PM   #3
RoaringBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiltLifter
The threads don't do the sealing, the flat underside of the cap does. I've saved a number of plastic caps for mine that seal well. One of them even has a valve on it so I can add gas (yes, I know, dangerous, but the thing had 10 PSI from the original beer anyway, right?). If you refill it at a pub, don't bring a cap cuz they'll put a new one on (and often throw away your old one).
With this said (underside of cap does sealing), you may be able to fab something really simple up to help hold the carbonation. A neoprene washer or something (soft foodgrade plastic?) cut to the inside diameter of the lid and adhered somehow, might work... When you tighten it on the glass lip pushes into the washer instead of just sitting near a flat hard plastic surface without a perfect seal?

Currently Consuming (HB): Apfelwein on Tap Troegs Hopback on Tap; Craft Bottles
Fermenting/Conditioning: Up Next: Hop Trio American Wheat, Lake Walk Pale Ale
In Planning Stage: Farmhouse Saison and Something Oaked.

Old 03-06-2008, 03:02 AM   #4
ThomRuley
Recipes 

While I was reading this I had an idea. Might it be possible to use beeswax to seal the cap? Beeswax is fairly inert and should have minimal reaction with the beer and the sanitizer solution. If anyone has experience with this let me know if this is a really dumb idea.

Thanks

Tom

Old 02-03-2014, 03:31 AM   #5
MikeSpike
Recipes 

FiZZ GiZ (http://www.FizzGiz.com) is making and marketing a growler preservation kit (aptly named Phssssh!) in a retail chain known as The Growler Guys. FiZZ GiZ, based in North Carolina, is selling these kits in the growler capital of the US: Bend, Oregon. Here's a YouTube vid showing how it works:
Retailer: http://www.TheGrowlerGuys.com
Mfr: http://www.FizzGiz.com

Old 02-03-2014, 04:17 AM   #6
jmichaeldesign
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Once you open the growler you'll lose carbonation unless you add pressure with co2.

The Growler Saver as well as some other devices do this.

Unopened a growler will maintain carbonation and stay fresh for at least a week if filled properly.