Does the yeast matter when brewing a cyser?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NyQuil

Reaction score
Snowed in here in the northeast today and was planning on starting a cyser today. I was going to get some D47 from the brew shop to start this simple first attempt. So I am stuck at home and the only non baker's yeast I have is 71B. Any issues to look out for using this in cyser?

71B loves malic. In my opinion, 71B is a wonderful match for mead and an excellent match for apples and so a great choice for a cyser. I would ferment towards the lower end of the temperature spectrum - and feed the honey nutrients. Many folk claim that 71B produces off flavors if you allow the mead or wine to sit on the lees for any length of time (ie more than 2 months).. Never been my experience but I tend to rack every 2 or 3 months and try to ferment at around 60 -65 F

I used D-47 in my first 3gal cyser batch and it's already clear enough to read through after only a month. I think 71B would also be a good yeast, though.

71b metabolizes and breaks down malic acid and so can work in a cyser but you will have a more "wine like" taste rather than a fresh apple taste. What makes an apple taste specifically Apple is its use of malic acid. D47 will preserve more apple taste and aroma but you need to ferment it on the cool side. Closer to 60*F.

I think it'd be a good run also. If you end up not liking this one would keep everything exactly the same and do a different batch with d-47 to see which you end up liking better.

Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll make it with 71B and then shortly start another with D47 and compare.

Woof. 2 lbs of honey with apple juice added up to 1 gallon gives a SG of 1.120.

Maybe a pound of honey would be better next time.

Second nutrient addition added today. Fermaid-K really foams up even after degassing. Wonder if it will hit the 1/3 break (1.080) tomorrow.

Yea when adding any dry nutrient. Think of mentos in Diet Coke. The granules add nucleation points to allow dissolved gasses to escape.

I usually take a gravity reading and from the stolen liquid I mix in the nutrients and then dump into the must. Less likely for volcano.

Sounds like the batch is going well though. Keep up and I am sure it will be great. Happy brewing!

I actually did add the K and DAP to my test tube and then back in to the carboy. Will degas tomorrow and see if we hit the 1/3rd break.

I always use Wyeast Sweet Mead yeast for my cysers (but not for anything else :) ).

Had you used different in the past and come up with better results with that yeast? Typically what gravity do you start and end up with using the wyeast sweet mead version?

1.052 today. It blew right past the 1/3 and even 1/2 sugar breaks. So I added a little Fermaid K (no extra DAP) and will stop the vigorous degassing / aerating and just swirl it around a couple times a day with the airlock still on.

A 0.70 drop in less than 48 hours.

I don't think I have ever actually seen the 1/3 marks or 1/2 marks on a brew. I never seem to time it right. I just am happy if I am a little close.

For what it's worth I used Lalvin Ec-1118 yeast for the cyser I made last September.

1.022 and no signs of bubbling slowing down. I wonder if fermentation will be done by the start of next week.

Still smells bready/yeasty but on taste has some of the honey flavor upfront (used Orange Blossom) with a cider kick on the backend.

Here's what I got with a cyser I started in December:

OG: 12/21/15: 1.110 feed
12/22/15: 1.100 feed
12/24/15: 1.060 feed
12/25/15: 1.035 last degass
1/1/16: 1.008 rack onto cut/pealed apples, 1 cinnamon stick
1/9/16: 1.008 rack

I crushed my own apples to get unfiltered juice, yield at last rack is 1.5 gals. Used Lalvin 1116. I kept the temp around 70, although I've learned since that it produces better esters at lower temps, around 61.

It fermented fast, which I liked. I was surprised it didn't finish closer to 1.000 (so far). But happily anticipating a sweeter, honeyer taste than expected. :)

Still some apple flavor but its definitely drying out. I was just going to rack it on some crushed blueberries in the secondary but now I may cut up a couple apples and throw them in there.

Down to 1.002 today so I racked in to a bucket on a pound of smashed blueberries (in a fermenting bag) and two cups of Empire apples weighing 319 grams.

I'll let it sit for two weeks then transfer in to a carboy and see how it does.

CZNeyfLl.jpg

Looking nice. Will rack it in to a carboy on Sunday.

Racked in to a carboy, a little bit under a gallon. I'll get a picture posted once it settles down from the racking.

Racked it off the sediment in to a new carboy today.

My question is, there is a slightly bready, almost beer after taste to this when I sampled it. Is this a sign of oxidation or do all cysers have that?

Thanks.

Fresh alcohols often have a yeast bite that ages out eventually. There shouldn't be oxidation issues provided you maintained small headspace/racked quietly.

Latest posts

Back