First keg pour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iceman6409

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Just did my first keg pour. Picture attached. It is a Brooklyn Summer Ale clone. I think the picture looks like a pretty good pout. Personally I feel it is a LITTLE flat. Not a lot though. Here are relevant stats. Internal fridge temp = 33F. Measured beer in glass temp - 50F. Slow carbed between 9-10 PSI. Just connected it, turned on 10 PSI, de-pressurized a handful of times and re-carbed, all at 10PSI. Came back a week later today and did the pour. 10' beer line with 3/16" ID tubing. Not much height difference from faucet to connection, maybe 1 foot and a half.

To me the pour seemed a little fast but not too bad. So I have two questions. First I am concerned about the fridge temp versus glass temp. Am I ok there? Is it weird having that big a difference? Second is it is a tiny bit flat I think. Very drinkable though. Can I up the carb if desired at this point? I am extremely patient.

WP_20160214_001.jpg

From what it sounds like you've only had it carbed at serving pressure for a week?

It takes 2 weeks to fully carbonate most beers at 10-12 PSI.

Your patience will be rewarded. Give it another week and I think you'll be happy with the results.
Welcome to the keggers club!

forcecarbillustrated.gif

I keg in 5g cornies - typically to 2.5 volumes - and have found the green line to be quite accurate (even if you shift the end point to 2.5).
Two weeks to "Good", the better part of the third to "Great"...

Cheers!

Taste was a little lemony so to speak and a little low on carb. My mouth felt like if there was a little more carb it might have balanced off the lemony taste to where it should be.

What about the internal fridge temp at 33F and pouring at about 70F. Does that sound normal?

did you prime it? i always prime my beers with corn sugar before kegging/bottling even if i plan on running the keg with a little pressure. after kegging i put about 5lb on it and let the corn sugar take it from there. i can usually get quite a bit of the keg poured before it needs anymore gas. i think natural carb is much nicer than co2.

My method works grand. 31 PSI for 36 hours, purge, then put at 12. In about 5 days it's fully carbed.

2 weeks for full carbing at 10-12 PSI...no thanks.

Back