Oxyclean "Perfume" in Speidel - now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vb4677

Reaction score
I've got the 30L / 7.9 G fermenters, that I thought I was cleaning with unscented Oxyclean... apparently not.

Now, by beers are tasting like they should, but I get a candy-like bouquet from them.

Soaking now in good ol' hot PBW. Will that work or do I need to do more afterwards?

I made this mistake last month with my brew Kettle. After 4 rinses with hot water, it took and over night soak with PBW to get the smell out.

Never using generic or brand name oxyclean again. PBW is a better cleaner anyways.

t

I made this mistake last month with my brew Kettle. After 4 rinses with hot water, it took and over night soak with PBW to get the smell out.

Never using generic or brand name oxyclean again. PBW is a better cleaner anyways.

t

Were you using regular oxyclean, or oxyclean free? The latter doesn't have perfume smells, and I've never had a problem with it from removing my bottle labels.

I use oxyclean free and never have an odor problem. Clean with oxy free, rinse with water, sanitize with Star San.

Thanks all for the suggestions/advice !
Yeah, I'm done with the Oxyclean I have on hand and have moved to 100% PBW from now on!
I did a 2-day PBW soak, and am now doing a 2 day vinegar/water soak. I may do another round of PBW, too. At this point, it's cheaper than 4-5 batches of perfumed beer!

A strong oxidant would be my first port of call, say chlorine dioxide because is should act as an ROS and break apart the scented compounds

Were you using regular oxyclean, or oxyclean free? The latter doesn't have perfume smells, and I've never had a problem with it from removing my bottle labels.

I was using generic kroger version of oxyclean, absolutely no mention of perfume on the label. I only brew 2 time a month, and its not worth taking the risk for a few $$.

After a head to head comparison, PBW is a better cleaner anyway when it comes to stains and stuff stuck to the inside of a carboy

t

I was using generic kroger version of oxyclean, absolutely no mention of perfume on the label. I only brew 2 time a month, and its not worth taking the risk for a few $$.

After a head to head comparison, PBW is a better cleaner anyway when it comes to stains and stuff stuck to the inside of a carboy

t

It sounds like you went straight from the el-cheapo budget option straight to the pricey nuclear option. Don't get me wrong - PBW definitely has it's place and I keep some around, but name brand oxyclean free is still cheaper and great for certain things.

I use sodium percarbonate which I order from eBay and add a small amount of perfume free dish soap.

For removing the oder you could also try caustic, providing you take safety measures

Back