Suspected stuck Fermentation.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trigger_andy

Reaction score
Im brewing a kit based Cream Stout with a starting SG of 1.046 and which says it should go down to 1.005. After nearly two weeks I cant get below 1.014 in one keg (one type of yeast) and the other two kegs will not come down past 1.020 on a differing type of yeast.

The temp has been consistent at 21c and intitaiily the fermentation was going crazy, but its not dropped for over 5 days now.

Should I re-pitch or just put up with what Ive got?

Many thanks all. :D

Andy

I used a Dry English Ale. Im getting the odd bubble now and again, so I might just try that. :)

I have a brew hauler strap in each of my carboys and I usually pick it up by the straps and gently rotate the container clockwise and counter clockwise to get the yeast kind of broken loose from the bottom and back into suspension. This method doesn't cause much of a splash at all and less chance of oxidation. I hope this makes sense. Also with English ale yeast it is a great chance that you won't hit your expected FG, especially if this is first generation yeast (out of a package). I have also almost always noticed dry yeast stalling. I hope this helps.

Thanks for the info, it really helps. :)

I have a brew hauler strap in each of my carboys and I usually pick it up by the straps and gently rotate the container clockwise and counter clockwise to get the yeast kind of broken loose from the bottom and back into suspension. This method doesn't cause much of a splash at all and less chance of oxidation. I hope this makes sense. Also with English ale yeast it is a great chance that you won't hit your expected FG, especially if this is first generation yeast (out of a package). I have also almost always noticed dry yeast stalling. I hope this helps.

It was Dry English ale. It sucks to think I'd end up with 2.5% Stout. :( I do have more yeast so if shaking does not work then I'll re-pitch.

Thanks. :)

What kind of yeast? Thats pretty high FG IME and really low attentuation. I would use more yeast if that happened to me.

It was Dry English ale. It sucks to think I'd end up with 2.5% Stout. :( I do have more yeast so if shaking does not work then I'll re-pitch.

Thanks. :)

Shaking at this point is bad. Very bad. I hope you meant gently swirling.

If you want to rouse the yeast so that it will finish, bump the temp to the upper 60's for at least a day. Sanitize a metal or unscratched plastic spoon then very gently (no splashing) work the yeast cake up off the bottom. Wait at least another week before taking the next reading.

Repitching is likely to gain you nothing. You have plenty of yeast cells already in the fermenter. Almost all of them aren't dead. Use them.

I guess you have to define "gain". If its 1.020 sg pitching new yeast will gain more ABV, a lot more - relatively speaking. :D

Nope. Tossing a new packet or vial of English ale yeast into a beer that's already down to 1.020 usually does.........nothing (except waste yeast).

Yeah I personally wouldn't pitch more yeast. It's like taking yeast that isn't used to alcohol, throwing them in, and shocking them. I'm sure it would try to do something but I agree that the best bet is to rouse the yeast, in the manner I was speaking of, and not splashing it, or if you have a temp control chamber of some sort raising the temp will automatically get them kicking again. Every time you open the container you potentially let out some co2 and when you place something in the beer you run a chance of contamination. This is why I rotate the carboys without splashing or removing the bung.

All my extract beer the last 12mths or so finished lower then 1.012

One thing I just caught with this thread, you said this was a "Cream Stout"? Well if you used Lactose then you will end up finishing higher, like 1.020, than normal because the lactose is not fermentable by brewers yeast, aka Saccharomyces

Yes, an extract Brew. It came with a bunch of brewing equipment I bought and its been lying about for ages so I thought Id use it up.

Interesting reply though, wonder why that happens?`

Extract brew? In my experience, getting below 1.020 is tough.

It was an extract kit and all I used was the cans of liquid, nothing else. The box did sa it should come down to 1.005 but Ive tried everything and its not worked. So 1.020 is where its staying. :(

One thing I just caught with this thread, you said this was a "Cream Stout"? Well if you used Lactose then you will end up finishing higher, like 1.020, than normal because the lactose is not fermentable by brewers yeast, aka Saccharomyces

Priour to seeing this message I shook the carboy. Waited a couple of days and then added yeast and shook it once again. :(

So I guess its safe to say this batch is ruined?

If its only coming out at 2.5% abv I think its ruined anyway. :D

The one carboy that came out to 1.014 'seemed' like it had an alcoholic kick to it, as in a felt a small beer buzz after two pints. So its a bit weird.

Thanks all for the help and advice. Alwyas a learning curve for me and at least this time it was free. :D

Shaking at this point is bad. Very bad. I hope you meant gently swirling.

If you want to rouse the yeast so that it will finish, bump the temp to the upper 60's for at least a day. Sanitize a metal or unscratched plastic spoon then very gently (no splashing) work the yeast cake up off the bottom. Wait at least another week before taking the next reading.

Repitching is likely to gain you nothing. You have plenty of yeast cells already in the fermenter. Almost all of them aren't dead. Use them.

Back