Peanut butter in my wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxRandomHeroxx

Reaction score
Quick question I had a few in me lol and decided to add 3 spoons of peanut butter to my wort boil. I read oils bad what should I do the peanut butter was bottom jar didn't seem oily and it's only 3 spoons in a 3gallon batch. Is it ruined

Oil won't ruin your beer, but it will prevent head retention. You're also making an incorrect assumption about the oil content of your peanut butter. Peanut butter is fatty and contains oil even if you can't see it (like when it separates). Most people use dry peanut butter powder for this reason. You'll be fine but won't have a nice frothy head on your glass.

Another thing to note: 3 spoons in a 3 gallon batch probably won't give you much flavor. Check out some of the recipes in this forum for your next batch!

I figured it wouldn't have much taste I was just throwing it in lol I read about extracting the oil from the top with a turkey Baster or siphoning it from the bottom and leave the oil behind? You think that would help

We just did 10 gallons of marris otter and peanut butter. 13 oz in the mash, and 26oz in the boil last ten minutes. Used powdered pb2. Haven't tasted it yet, but it smelled awesome.

Back