Lalvin AMH?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PTS_35

Reaction score
I bought this bc it said it worked well with fruity style wine. I made some blackberry wine and I'm trying to rehydrate or at least get it kick started. Put some in a glass measuring cup with some of the juice and a little hit water. Temp was 83f. Added a bit of yeast. Been abt 30min. Don't really see any foam in like it did with lalvin EC 1118. Any one know this yeast? Is it good or a sign it's expired. Don't see a date on package. Really wanted to use this yeast on this blackberry wine. Could use the EC 1118 but it made a very dry apple cider. I'm not sure it will do the same here but don't want it to either

AMH or Assmanshaussen is a decent yeast used primarily for Pinot Noir. AMH has a long lag phase, you may not see a lot of activity as with other yeasts.
The water needs to be 104°, add the yeast to the water and within a few minutes you will see activity in the cup. You will need to give the yeast a food source such as Go-Ferm or some of the must, yeast will not survive much past 30 mins without a food source.

Personally, I would have chosen other yeasts for a fruit wine, maybe 71B-1122, it Softens high acid musts by partially metabolizing malic acid.
I agree with not using EC-1118, although it is a workhorse, it is a neutral yeast in the sense that it doesn't bring out any of the characteristics that other yeast do.

I hope that this helps

I'm new to the whole thing and don't know many yeast strains. So with all that sugar and juice you stI'll think the yeast needs some nutrient? What if I add some DAP? Trying to work with what I have and not buy something else. Not to mention the time it'll take to arrive here

I apologize if I came across a bit pushy, where are you located? I am spoiled, I have several home brew shops within 10 mins from my house.
Do not add DAP unless you have to.

There are different types of nutrients, rehydration nutrients such as GoFerm and yeast nutrients such as Fermaid K.

The following was taken from the Scott Labs fermentation handbook:
Yeast rehydration nutrients provide natural micronutrients (vitamins and minerals) to the yeast during the yeast rehydration phase. By adding these bio-available nutrients at the
rehydration stage yeast cells benefit most directly. Cell viability and vitality are enhanced, resulting in fermentations that finish stronger, with reduced chances of sensory deviations.
Never use nutrients containing ammonia salts, such as DAP, during yeast rehydration—they are toxic to the yeast.

Fermentation nutrition is therefore considered a vital part of a controlled fermentation strategy. Nitrogen is an extremely important yeast nutrient.
The cells use nitrogen for growth, protein and enzyme synthesis, and sugar transport.
Yeast nutrition, however, is more than nitrogen. Yeast cells also require a balanced supply of minerals (magnesium, zinc, etc.), vitamins and oxygen.
Tailor your fermentation regime for optimal yeast reproduction, sugar transport and aromatic expression.

So, to sum it up, use rehydration nutrients to ensure that the yeast has the necessary micronutrients that it needs to grow and reproduce, healthy yeast will result in a healthy fermentation.
Having a nutrient schedule is very important, I'll split up the recommended amount of yeast nutrient needed for the amount of wine that I'm making, 2 or 3 additions, the first being added at the beginning of fermentation, then at 1/3 fermentation completion, and the last at another 1/3.

I highly recommend downloading the Scott Labs Fermentation Handbook, this is such a great source of knowledge!

Feel free to ask any question, we all started out as new wine makers and had to learn!

I hope this helps.

Thanks I'll download it. For now the juice seems to be going. Guess I'll see how it goes. Why do you say not to add DAP unless I have to? Do I have time to order and then add the fermaid later? I'll have to look that yeast name up. With the fruity/spicy qualitis and the note that AMH helps the color I thought it'd be something to try with blackberry. I'm still learning

If the juice is fermenting, you're doing the right thing!
My hat is off to you for researching the yeast and using it based upon the characteristics that it can bring to the wine!

The beauty of making wine is that we can experiment and craft a wine to our own personal tastes.

Never use nutrients containing ammonia salts, such as DAP, during yeast rehydration—they are toxic to the yeast. Fermaid K is a much better product, it not only has a nitrogen source(The nitrogen from the alpha amino acids contained in Fermaid K is utilized much more efficiently than from the ammonia salts), it also contains the essential nutrients and vitamins needed to keep the yeast happy.

I keep Fermaid K, Fermaid O, and DAP in my wine making toolbox, DAP has it's place and can get you out of a jam, it should be used with caution.
As far as ordering Fermaid K, I would order it just to have it handy.
Do you have a hydrometer? If so, what was the starting gravity?
I wouldn't add any more nutrients after the wine has reached 1.040, unless there is a need such as a strong sulfur smell.

The juice is bubbling away at this point. I've decided to not do anything. I'm just gonna leave it alone. Yes I have a hydrometer. The starting gravity or original gravity was 1.090. Is not adding nutrients once gravity hits 1.040 a standard? Why? Bc you will get undesirable favors?

Is not adding nutrients once gravity hits 1.040 a standard? Why? Bc you will get undesirable favors?

A typical nutrient schedule usually has 2 nutrient additions, the first addition is added at the end of the lag phase, the second addition is added around a third of the way through fermentation usually around 10 Brix\1.040, give or take a brix. At this point, yeast cells are no longer able to bring the nitrogen into the cell due to the increasing toxicity of alcohol\ethanol surrounding the cells.
This leaves the nitrogen unused and available for spoilage organisms.

Like with anything else, there are certain times when you'll need to add nutrients after 10 Brix.

I hope that this helps.

Back