New World Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jesse93

Reaction score
I will make this pale ale but I need some advices if I shall change anything to the recepie. My water is generally good for amber ales, so thats why I use a bit of dark crystal malt... No light colored ales turned out good in the past!
I did this recepie with crystal 60 and american hops and it didnt turn out good cause of the water.

New world pale ale BIAB
Batch Size (fermenter): 11,50L
Boil Time: 60 min 67 degrees celcius
End of Boil Volume 13,00 l Brewhouse Efficiency: 70,00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 10,00 l Est Mash Efficiency 76,1 %
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
2,60 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) Be (7,5 EBC) Grain 2 79,8 %
0,16 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (239,0 EBC) Grain 4 4,9 %
13,00 g Southern Cross [13,60 %] - Boil 5,0 min Hop 7 6,2 IBUs
20,00 g Dr. Rudi [11,00 %] - Boil 5,0 min Hop 6 8,5 IBUs
25,00 g Dr. Rudi [11,00 %] - Aroma Steep 1,0 min Hop 8 0,0 IBUs
25,00 g Southern Cross [14,30 %] - Aroma Steep 1,0 min Hop 9 0,0 IBUs
10,00 g Southern Cross [13,00 %] - Boil 60,0 min Hop 5 25,3 IBUs
35,00 g Dr. Rudi [11,00 %] - Dry Hop 3,0 Days Hop 11 0,0 IBUs
20,00 g Southern Cross [14,30 %] - Dry Hop 3,0 Days Hop 12 0,0 IBUs
1,0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50,28 ml] Yeast 10 -
0,3 tsp Gypsum (Mash 60,0 mins) Water Agent 1 -
0,50 kg Munich Malt (18,0 EBC) Grain 3 15,3 %

Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6,3 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4,7 %
Bitterness: 40,0 IBUs Calories: 427,1 kcal/l
Est Color: 25,0 EBC

:tank:

Looks good to me. Curious about the hop choices, any reason for those particular ones? I'd be very tempted to chuck in some Vic's Secret or Galaxy in there. Or Nelson for that matter. I like Dr Rudi, but Southern Cross is something I've only had in blends. Keeping the crystal below 5% sounds reasonable. Another thing you could consider is adding a very small amount of patent malt instead of crystal malt, around 1oz in your batch size. It does reduce the mash pH a little bit, plus you get some benefit from its antioxidant properties while having less of an impact on the flavour.

Do you treat your water at all? You might want to add some lactic acid to reduce mash pH if you struggle with pale beers. Plus adding a couple of grams of Gypsum could help as well.

Looks good to me. Curious about the hop choices, any reason for those particular ones? I'd be very tempted to chuck in some Vic's Secret or Galaxy in there. Or Nelson for that matter. I like Dr Rudi, but Southern Cross is something I've only had in blends. Keeping the crystal below 5% sounds reasonable. Another thing you could consider is adding a very small amount of patent malt instead of crystal malt, around 1oz in your batch size. It does reduce the mash pH a little bit, plus you get some benefit from its antioxidant properties while having less of an impact on the flavour.

Do you treat your water at all? You might want to add some lactic acid to reduce mash pH if you struggle with pale beers. Plus adding a couple of grams of Gypsum could help as well.

Hi and thanks for your reply. There was a good price for some NZ hops and I thought that I could try them out. I was happy with this malt base when using the 60L crystal malt so I actually think I'll keep it. I used 8 grams of gypsum in one of my previous beers, but I got a very harsh hop flavour and bitterness from it, so I think I'll be using something around ½ teaspoon this time. The hops you suggested are a little bit hard to get a hold of, but I can buy mosaic and use it for late hopping if would help the flavour :)

For that batch size 8 grams is a lot. I use 8 in 23l batches, so I'd aim more at around 3-4g in your batch size. 25g of Mosaic to dry hop would probably be quite balanced. You want to keep all that NW goodness in there.

For that batch size 8 grams is a lot. I use 8 in 23l batches, so I'd aim more at around 3-4g in your batch size. 25g of Mosaic to dry hop would probably be quite balanced. You want to keep all that NW goodness in there.

Thanks mate! I'll add some Mosaic! Cheers :mug:

I skipped the mosaic hops, the munich and the dry hopping. It turned out just OK. The LHBS was out of mosaic at the time I ordered the stuff. I changed the dry hopping to whirlpool hopping, shouldn't have done that as it didn't have the striking aroma as I wanted. But these hops were so subtile anyway... it turned out malty / balanced. A good beer, but not much of a pale ale.

I won't use these hops again. I can't imagine what they fit good for.

pussel 2.jpg

That's surprising. I've had really good Dr Rudi commercial beers over here, including some single hops. Nice fruity stuff.

Back