Hot water temps and filters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigken462

Reaction score
Hey guys, now that I got moved, I'm about to fire up the burners again. The house I have moved into has a water heater close by. In the past, I've always just used a double filter on a water hose from the outside faucet. Since I knew I would someday be moving, I never made a effort to hard plumb anything into the brew house. Now that I'm moved, my options have opened up a bit.

Overall my water is clear and tasty just the way it is, but I still prefer to filter just in case. My initial plans are to hard plumb both hot and cold water faucets to use inside the garage to eliminate the hassle of water hoses. Would the hot temps from the water heater be too much for the plastic canisters? I'm debating on putting a filter both on the cold and hot water faucets that I will be plumbing into the garage. The hot water heater is in the basement, but there is easy access to the wall that the garage is located. I keep the temp on the water heater set at 150*

Below is the filters I currently use. I purchased them to filter beer, but eventually learned this was just a waste of time and money when patience and time did the same thing. What would ya'll do?

i-VrgWCsr-L.jpg

The first thing to do is find the specs for those filters and housings.
A quick check of a Culligan "whole house" filter that appears similar to yours specs a maximum feed water temperature of 100°F, which would be a show-stopper right there...

Cheers!

Thanks. I was really trying to avoid putting a filter on the main line. I may can plumb in a T just above the cold side of the water heater and start filtering at that point. The only thing that particular water heater services is the kitchen and washroom. The rest of the house is on another unit.

I was trying to avoid having to contend with changing filters out over and over. I'll see if I can find a name on it. I purchased those from Northern Brewer last year and no telling what brand it is.

Latest posts

Back