sour beer, high fg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chipwitch

Reaction score
I'm not sure how I should proceed with this ale that soured on me. I've only tasted one or two commercial sour beers so I don't have a refined palette. I'm not crazy about the two I tried.

I took a stab at cloning a Troubadour Obscura in a mini mash. I think I've mentioned this beer in another unrelated thread, but basically, it was one of my one of my first non-full-extract beers. I ran short on time after mashing (didn't have time to boil). So, I covered the pot with aluminum foil and let it sit on the table. It soured naturally before boiling.

I proceeded with my recipe in spite of the sour. After allowing it to sit in secondary for about 3 months now, it's lightly soured tang is not offensive. I may even enjoy it once carbed. However, the fg is at 1.020. Doesn't taste like anything I've ever had and doesn't smell offensive.

So, I'm worried about bottling. I have some bottle conditioning yeast, if needed. But I'm concerned about two things. First, that there is too much fermentable sugar and bottle bombs are likely. Second, is that the yeast is all dead after sitting so long.

How would you proceed?

Intriguing scenario.

I would bottle 3, 12 ounce bottles:

1- a primed bottle, no yeast
2- a primed bottle , new ale yeast
3- unprimed bottle, Red wine yeast

Store in a safe place such as a small plastic storage box a close lid for 3 weeks, then, based on the results take action on the remainder of the beer.

Pitching Brett at bottling is out of the question, it has the potential of fermenting down to 1.006-1.008, guaranteeing you a fizzy unappealing mess. However you can pitch into your carboy and let it dry it out.. Introducing Brett into your brewery has the potential of causing future contamination so take the necessary precautions such as separating equipment and not using anything plastic.

That's an interesting suggestion. Another 3 weeks would make it almost four months in a Carboy. You don't see a problem with that?

That's an interesting suggestion. Another 3 weeks would make it almost four months in a Carboy. You don't see a problem with that?

I could not answer that from experience, I generally can't wait to get mine on tap. Transfer to a clean carboy is an option.

Back