I accidentally made a sour (yeast) questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowboys703

Reaction score
And it actually came out really well. I have some questions about what this means going forward.

It started life as Wyeast 3711. Just been getting into saisons recently and this is a killer yeast. I harvest yeast from my starters and until now I haven't had any issues in almost a year. I figure at some point in the harvesting/making a new starter it got infected.

I was told that it seemed to be a very clean infection so I figured what the hell and went ahead and used it again (harvested from the previous starter) in a small batch of a saison braggot I was planning out.

Questions

1.) How much of my original yeast is left? I really didn't pick up on any saison characteristics so I think this one is obvious but I'm more worried about things such as alcohol limits.

2.) I noticed after this last time of harvesting the yeast that the sample that I harvested didn't separate out as cleanly as I remember it did before infection. Where my other stored vials of yeast get pretty clear with a small yeast cake this one almost looks like it's still sitting on a stir plate.

3.) Like I said before, it seems to be a very clean infection. Good taste and all that. One guy did say he thought he picked up some slight off taste (band aids, I think?) so I'm wondering if there are any signs I should be looking for going forward that may indicate it's time to abandon this experiment.

4.) And lastly, since I now have a fermentation bucket that I probably won't be using for any non sour beers anyone have any good recommendations as far as recipe guidelines and/or reading material relating to this?

Another interesting thing I noted was when I made a starter of it the second time it hardly had any krausen. It was a smaller starter but I often have had 3711 blow the foam stopper off of my flask in the past

Back