Is this hop schedule to extreme?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldtagtrip

Reaction score
Hi there, im making a simple beer with
12 lbs viena
8oz simcoe whole
8oz mosaic whole

2 oz each at 5
1 oz each at 0
2 oz each at 10 whirpol
2 0z each at 30 whirpol
0.5 each dry hopping 5 days
0.5 each hop tea with priming solution.

Any comments? I always wanted to do an ipa with only late aditions so this sounds to me like a good plan. I dont like lots of hops for dry hopping because it gives me that grassy taste.

I think so -- you are going to have an enormous amount of hop aroma. It's strictly a matter of taste, but I'd cut it in half.

Sounds like an interesting brew. Not as much heat interaction with your hops could make for a smooth bitterness. But, that is quite the amount of cones. Let 'er rip and lets see what it tastes like!

That is a large hop bill, I would increase the amount of grain to off set some of the hops or you could end up with a bitter beer

I would double the hop tea but instead of priming with it just set it up as an IV drip next to your favorite chair so you can just hook up while you're drinking your beer. ��

I don't think a pound of hops is too much for a 5 gal batch when it's all late additions. I've done 12 oz, and it wasn't close to being too over the top. But I do agree with those recommending possibly a bit more grain. I'd use whatever it took to get my OG up to at least 1.065. For me, that would be about 13 pounds of grain.

So i could double the dry hop and do it for about 3 days. I could also add some sugar to dry it iut and bump the og.

16oz of whole hops is not the same thing as 16oz of pellets. 16oz of whole hops will probably suck up half the wort, but other than that, it's not excessive. I also don't think it will be too bitter, as you're boiling just 2oz of hops and only for 5 minutes, plus whatever IBUs you get from the steeping period. If you do think it's going to be too bitter, moving hops from the hot side to dry-hop will reduce the bitterness. As for the sugar, it will raise the OG and the ABV, but it's not going to leave you any extra residual sugars at the end, which is what you're really after if you're looking to balance the bitterness.

I would recommend shifting some numbers around so you're dry-hopping with at least 3 oz of hops.

My ideia for increase the body without puting more grain because i dont have time to buy some more is; thicker mash and mash at a higher temp, 155? 158?

My ideia for increase the body without puting more grain because i dont have time to buy some more is; thicker mash and mash at a higher temp, 155? 158?

NO WAY. Mash low. 150 or so. The last thing you want is residual sweetness in this beer

This thread is pretty funny. Has anyone saying 1lb hops per 5gal is too much actually tried it? You will want some method of trying to squeeze out that much whole hops though

Don't pay me any never mind...I'm not a hoppy beer guy, you all should have picked up on that by now..Just my joking nature shining through is all.:tank: Its what I do.

Carry on

If you want more body, use an English ale yeast like Danstar Windsor instead of something more neutral/dry like 1056

This thread is pretty funny. Has anyone saying 1lb hops per 5gal is too much actually tried it? You will want some method of trying to squeeze out that much whole hops though

5 gallon paint strainer bag with block and tackle mounted to the ceiling???

1lbs is not too much, i've done it before, works great, i just changed the timing and yes im using 1028 london ale.

I made a 100 %bret b(orvall drags) with a pound of hops and it is a tropical bomb. The yeast and the hopps match really well.

5 gallon paint strainer bag with block and tackle mounted to the ceiling???

Umm I guess so. Is this close enough?

Took me 5 tries to get the pulleys configured right. Only 4 years out of mech engineering and my ******* forgets how to arrange the pulleys so the mechanical advantage is on YOUR end

1228152039.jpg

Back