forgetting to mash out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oventoasted

Reaction score
i always forget to mashout (170f+) after my mash time is done. in my limited experience i dont think its all that necessary but it always kinda ticks me off as im cleaning up all my equipment i go "damn it i forgot again!". :mad:

Not too huge an issue. However, if your intent is consistency from batch to batch on a particular recipe it is one of those things to do.

I find it varies for me. I usually heat my sparge water on the stove to the right mashout temp. but as I'm adding it cup by cup to the mash it drops quite a bit. Bensiff is right. mash out helps maintain your malt profile. keeps it consistent but that's not my personal goal. you can brew good beer without it.

When I started ag brewing many years ago, I batch sparged because that's the equipment I had. I still batch sparge, and don't mash out, due to the fact that I mash, move it over to the bk and start heating it up to boiling while I'm sparging. I still don't mash out. As RM says, it's just not needed due to the profile not changing while doing a batch sparge or bringing the original mash up to boiling anyway.

Back