Azacca Hops??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braufessor

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have some Azacca hops I want to try out. I am going to put them into this recipe that is kind of my standard IPA: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=568046

I have not used Azacca...... any thoughts? Has anyone else used them? I have a few thoughts -
1.) I could just use 100% azacca for all of the additions other than battering.

2.) I could blend Azacca with some of my other hops that I usually use ( Citra, Mosaic, Galaxy).

3.) I could blend with other hops that I don't normally use.

I want a tropical, fruity type hop flavor/aroma.

Anyone use these hops and have any "do's or don'ts"?

1) yes You could bitter with them also. Though I don't know what is best.
2) yes
3) yes

I have not used these hops but I have found a couple of sites online that describe the flavors of different yeasts. Look them up and look for hops that will give you the tropical fruity flavor.

I just tried Founder's Azacca IPA and it was not what I expected. Bitterness is the first thing I noticed - had to really look for the fruity and what came through was a pineapple/green apple taste to me.

I would def pair with Citra to liven it up!

I'm with KVANTAN, I used them in a single hop pale ale, 9 ozs worth and while pleasant they lacked any sort of punch.

It all depends on what you're looking for! If you're looking for that hop monster taste ...then you're going to have to blend. If you want mild tropical fruit taste then yes. I would say it's more of a session type hop myself,

I think on the flavor end they can definitely stand on their own even if they may benefit from something else to bring out their flavor more. Possibly something like crystal (seems like crystal always does a good job of bringing out the best qualities in citrusy hops without interfering with what they've got going on.)

I'm actually drinking some of my Azacca single hop APA right now and it is pretty good. In my opinion the strength of the flavor is around what I get out of Cascade. The one thing I will change next time is getting a little more of the IBU's from late additions. I initially got some of that lingering rough bitterness I often get from Chinook which has faded in the few weeks it has been on tap.

Have my Chinzacca IPA in first week of bottle condition. Chinook and Azacca made for good albeit interesting friends. I bittered lightly with the Chinook to get a beersmith rating of 35 IBU, but others may prefer a more neutral hop for that.

All hops used were Ahtanum (late addition, whirlpool), Azacca (late addition, whirlpool, dry hop), Cascade (dry hop), Chinook (bitter, late boil whirlpool)

At bottling the taste was great. Probably should have used a little more Azacca, but taste is great.

Last edited:
Should probably update. I brewed this beer: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=568046

For the hops I did the two hop stand additions as 2oz. Azzaca and 1 oz. Citra for each. First dry hop was also 2oz. azzaca and 1oz. Citra.

I sampled beer around day 12 before moving to dry hop keg.... it was HORRIBLE..... I almost dumped it on the spot - just a bizarre grassy/metallic/chemical kind of taste. I ended up letting it sit a couple more days and tasted again....and it was "ok". So, I transferred to dry hop keg but decided against more azzaca - went with 1.5 ounces each of citra/mosaic. Moved it to a serving keg and let it sit for a week or so carbing.

Over the course of another week or so (Now about week 4-5 from brew day) it actually turned into a really nice beer. Fruity would be the main adjective I would use to describe it. Was a real good pale ale in the end.

I was ready to throw my Azacca hops in the garbage at first. Never had a beer go from tasting that bad, to that good in 2 weeks. Not sure why it was..... but it was. At any rate, I will probably try the same beer again in the next couple months and probably try to do all 4 additions with 2:1 Azacca: Citra ratio this time.

Anecdotal but every beer I've had with Azzaca hops gives me a headache even if I've only had 1 beer, 3 different beers from commercial breweries.

More to the subject I didn't think any of them were good and had a flavor I could quite describe.

Good to hear it turned out fine in the end.

I doubt the issue was the Azzaca hops. I've heard of people being underwhelmed by them, but they are a really nice hop. I think people expect them to be like citra given their aa% and descriptors, but it is more subtle. Kind of like Pacific Gem, which has a super high aa% but is pretty tame. I find it goes well in Belgian beers and wheats. Best thing I tried it in so far was an all-brett beer with belma and hallertau blanc

I used half a pound for a 5 gallon batch (5 oz in the boil, 3 oz dry hop), and I am completely surprised by how lackluster they are on their own. It's a nice subtle fruitiness, but not much in terms of bitterness punch. I probably could have used more sulfate to give it some more bitterness too.

Edited to add: The only time I've had a metallic taste like you described is when I used Citra as bittering (I know, I know...). It was definitely the cat-piss/metallic that I've heard about. Could it be that somehow the Citra contributed this?

Edited to add: The only time I've had a metallic taste like you described is when I used Citra as bittering (I know, I know...). It was definitely the cat-piss/metallic that I've heard about. Could it be that somehow the Citra contributed this?

Unlikely..... I used .75 ounces of Warrior to bitter (like I always do) and ALL of the other hops were after flameout. This was also less citra than I usually use..... and it is the same citra I had in another beer at the same time that did not have this taste at all. The only difference between the Azacca beer and the last 15-20 IPA's I have brewed was the Azacca. None of the other ones were anything like this one. And, as I said, it really actually ended up coming around and was pretty good in the end. Weird. I will have to try it again though to see if the same thing happens.

My single hop Azacca IPA I have on tap is very enjoyable. It has a great fruity scent, but the flavor comes across more mild than citra.

I just tried Founder's Azacca IPA and it was not what I expected. Bitterness is the first thing I noticed - had to really look for the fruity and what came through was a pineapple/green apple taste to me.

I found a melon/mango taste came through more as the beer warmed. It was a decent beer, but I agree the bitterness was really up front with the Founders Azacca.

I had this one on tap and thought it was nice, I even filled up a growler with it. So I guess its just a personal taste preference. The bitterness wasn't very substantial to me so if I were wanting more bitterness I'd throw in a different hop to help out.

Good to hear it turned out fine in the end.

I doubt the issue was the Azzaca hops. I've heard of people being underwhelmed by them, but they are a really nice hop. I think people expect them to be like citra given their aa% and descriptors, but it is more subtle. Kind of like Pacific Gem, which has a super high aa% but is pretty tame. I find it goes well in Belgian beers and wheats. Best thing I tried it in so far was an all-brett beer with belma and hallertau blanc

Just tried Azacca for the first time in an American Blonde with a little bit of Warrior. I added the Azacca in a 5m addition and dryhop. I would agree with this. Definitely tropical fruit notes, but pretty subtle. Good match for a low IBU beer that is not too malt forward, but I might mix it with Cascade or Citra next time.

Just tried Azacca for the first time in an American Blonde with a little bit of Warrior. I added the Azacca in a 5m addition and dryhop. I would agree with this. Definitely tropical fruit notes, but pretty subtle. Good match for a low IBU beer that is not too malt forward, but I might mix it with Cascade or Citra next time.

I'm am dry hopping the next batch this week with azacca and citra to boost the fruit factor.

Such a tasty hop. The mango really shines through with the tropical aspect of the hop, I used Chinook to bitter my ipa with all azacca and it was so good.

Latest posts

Back