How do I save my lager :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meghanraul

Reaction score
Hi

This is my first brew. I started with a vienna lager : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B5F1U3K/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Of course lagers are a lot more work but I really wanted to start with one. Now, I followed the instruction and saw a couple of videos. I added yeast to my wort after cooling it down to around 70. Here is where I messed up :

-I left the wort for around 10 hours at that temperature (a lot of bubble in my air lock)
-Then realizing, I need lower temperature, I struggled for the next 7 days, and the temperature fluctuated between 64 - 70
-Now I made room in my fridge and the temperature is around 50-55 now

My questions being :
- Have I destroyed my first batch? If yes, how do I save it :( ?
- Should I do an di-acetyl rest?
- How long should I keep in secondary ?

Thank you :):)

Last edited by a moderator:
If it stayed 64-70 for a week or so, it finished fermenting. You can ferment a lager at ale temps; it won't really be a lager, but it'll still be beer. Should be no reason for a d-rest, since you had it at high temps for a week. Taste it and see what you have. If you have butterscotch, d-rest it. If not, crash it and bottle/keg it.

Yeah, there's no need to secondary and "lager" that. Consider it a "steam beer" now.

Do you remember what kind of yeast came with the kit? Their instructions don't mention what it is, but do specify the lower temps.

I responded to your PM.

What sort of yeast did they include in this kit? The description they give on the BB website provides no clue at all.

Who knows? It may possibly be an ale yeast. In this case, that would be a good thing.

Thank you so much for the replies !
Unfortunately, I dont remember the yeast strain they included :(
I'm planning to taste it a little bit and if it does taste like butterscotch maybe d-rest it ?
But most likely, I'll bottle it and hope for the best :)

Thanks again

Latest posts

Back