Drunk Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicknack

Reaction score
Oh my... I really tied one on last night. Not sure what happened but the beer was just going down so easily. Then came 1:00am and I had a fabulous idea... let's bottle my Falconer's Flight IPA. Now, this is only my second batch of brew ever, mind you, so it's not like I could really go on auto pilot. Aside from making a blunder and having the tube fall out of the bottling bucket and losing probably a half gallon of beer on the floor, things went okay. The only problem is that for some reason, when I got home from work this evening, I discovered that for some odd reason (which I cannot understand other than the fact that I don't make good decisions when drinking) I put 8 bottles of brew in the fridge. The rest, fortunately, is in my closet where they should be. So... that all being said, what should I do with the cold ones? They have been in there for about 15 hours now. Do I leave them or take 'em out?

Just take 'em out and put them with the others to warm up and carb. Maybe swirl them a bit once they warm up.

What you did was drunk bottling. Sounds like if you had been drunk brewing your house would be burned down right now! :D

I once almost fell asleep while brewing after drinking several glasses of a very decent home brewed saison. Fortunately I was chilling the wort by that point, so the fire was out and gas disconnected! I drink much less when making or manipulating my beer now!

I have been there before, I was brewing with one of my best friends who at the time didn't know what to do and was just helping where I asked. Anyhow fast forward we were having an excellent time had the music on and the next thing you know we are drunk as a skunk.... I have no idea how that beer turned out so great...but it did. I now listen to the advise don't drink before the boil...or at least not much.

Last time I drank too much while brewing, I ended up with a whole ounce or two of whole leaf cascade hops in my plate chiller........ still trying to get all those little bastards out.

Also I only got about 2 gallons out of 6 gallon boil......

A friend and I did a brew last year and really tied one on. Being in our drunken states, the brew day lasted about seven hours, which is longer than my normal 4-4.5. After the brew was finished, the wort cooled, and during the transfer from the kettle to the fermenter, the siphon hose slipped out and six gallons of wort spilled onto my basement floor. We were busy filling our glasses at the kegerator and generally just being drunken idiots, so we were too busy to notice the sweet wort draining onto the floor until the kettle was empty.

I've since cut back on drinking during the brew day.

A friend and I did a brew last year and really tied one on. Being in our drunken states, the brew day lasted about seven hours, which is longer than my normal 4-4.5. After the brew was finished, the wort cooled, and during the transfer from the kettle to the fermenter, the siphon hose slipped out and six gallons of wort spilled onto my basement floor. We were busy filling our glasses at the kegerator and generally just being drunken idiots, so we were too busy to notice the sweet wort draining onto the floor until the kettle was empty.

I've since cut back on drinking during the brew day.

That's f-in awesome... thanks for sharing. My little episode last night doesn't seem so bad now.

The one thing I left out about last night is that my wife came down around 3am and asked me "what the hell are you doing?". I had some Led Zeplin going (too loud apparently for her and the kids). It didn't help that I couldn't see straight when she asked me the question. In fact, I'm still guessing that's what she said because I don't recall all of the details of last night.

The miraculous thing is that this morning, I actually had all of my equipment put away. However, I don't trust myself and I intend to clean it all again this weekend. Sheesh... what an evening.

On another note - I took the cold brews out of my fridge this evening and returned them to their proper place in the closet. Hopefully 15 hours or so in the fridge won't impact them negatively.

Exactly why I don't brew before noon..

Exactly why I DO brew before noon. While at times I do enjoy toss a few back while brewing, things just go so much better when I don't. Mind boggling, I know. So, if I start brewing at 6-7am on Saturdays, the temptation to start drinking just isn't there, and wifey gets to sleep in so I'm about done by the time she's rousing herself. Works all around.

Its exactly why I do brew before noon, I don't mix drinking and brewing.

exactly.

Exactly why I DO brew before noon. [...] If I start brewing at 6-7am on Saturdays, the temptation to start drinking just isn't there, and wifey gets to sleep in so I'm about done by the time she's rousing herself.

+1

As a bonus, it also feels great to look around your brew room, with all the equipment cleaned and put away, and a fresh batch of beer sitting in the fermentation chamber after a morning of brewing, and know you still have the rest of the day to do other stuff.

Huh... I've never done it any other way.

And I usually start around 8:30 in the morning.

When I got really serious about learning the alchemy of brewing and striving for consistency of recipes about 20+ years ago, I adopted the rule to never drink more than one during the brewing/kegging or bottling session. Before that, I had many stories much like yours. Nowadays, I brew in the wee hours and have my strike water heating around 7:30am and drink coffee. Damn, I am getting old...

Last Saturday, one of my buzzed brewing partners set the decanted starter jug on the counter with the "plz clean these" dishes, and my buzzed gf brewing partner grabbed it, cleaned it, and for some reason picked that item of dishware to marvel "Man, that really cleaned up nicely!".

Exactly why I DO brew before noon. While at times I do enjoy toss a few back while brewing, things just go so much better when I don't. Mind boggling, I know. So, if I start brewing at 6-7am on Saturdays, the temptation to start drinking just isn't there, and wifey gets to sleep in so I'm about done by the time she's rousing herself. Works all around.

This is the only way to brew. Been doing this for all reasons above for about 2 years now.

The only thing I drink before the clean up is done is a shot of bourbon mixed with a sample glass of first runnings.

I won't brew drunk again. Thought it would be a good idea to put wort straight into glass carboy from kettle. Then figured i'd go ahead and cool carboy in bath water. I am lucky I wasn't holding the carboy when it split into. I should know better as I work with glass.

What, you don't like the awesome feeling and surprise when you wake up in the morning, completely forgetting what you did the past night, to see a fresh batch of beer sitting in your fermentation chamber? It's like Christmas! ;)

Seriously though, I don't have much of a desire to drink much when brewing. Perhaps a couple. However, bottling, not that much that can go wrong so I'm open to whatever.

Last Saturday, one of my buzzed brewing partners set the decanted starter jug on the counter with the "plz clean these" dishes, and my buzzed gf brewing partner grabbed it, cleaned it, and for some reason picked that item of dishware to marvel "Man, that really cleaned up nicely!".

Ouch, that would hurt.

You don't brew outdoors?

When I got really serious about learning the alchemy of brewing and striving for consistency of recipes about 20+ years ago, I adopted the rule to never drink more than one during the brewing/kegging or bottling session. Before that, I had many stories much like yours. Nowadays, I brew in the wee hours and have my strike water heating around 7:30am and drink coffee. Damn, I am getting old...
Same here, getting old.

The worst part is having to rock a piss but theres a hop addition coming up soon

I experienced this for the first time a few nights ago while testing out my new kettle and burner. In addition, my wife and girls were sleeping, so I didn't want to go banging through the house.

Ended up tossing in the hops, stirring like a mother to fight off a boil over, and then pissing out the garage door into the snow.

drunk Bryan is pretty good at making sure the worts all sealed up and yeast is pitched. I always wake up feeling like I owe him big time for all the clean up too. So I give him some beers

hes not the greatest at taking out his contacts before bed though and he does seem to cut/scrape/burn himself for no particular reason

"Man, that was a fun night!"

"Wait....honey....where....where is our cocaine?"

Hey blizz, how's it going, bro? Listen, my wife and I really liked that last batch of home brew you made. I mean REALLY. Any chance we could get a few more bottles? I don't know what it is, I just feel like I have much more energy, my head is clearer, I'm having amazing ideas pop into my head, everything feels awesome, I REALLY REALLY NEED MORE OF THAT BEER BRO, NAME YOUR PRICE.

OP's story reminds me a little of my last bottling experience that finally forced me to switch to kegging. Started bottling two-five gallon batches at around 10pm. While bottling I was drinking (wasnt drunk, but was definitely absent minded) and it got late. Round about 1am I pushed down my wing capper to seal the cap and when I pulled up with caught the edge of the bottle cap and lifted the bottle up off my kitchen table... Then let go. It wasnt the lost beer that upset me, but the additional 45 minutes I spent mopping the floor trying to find each additional shard of glass. Between that and the bottle museum I had turned our home into, my wife insisted it was time to switch to kegging (so I guess at the end of the day it was kind of a win :D)

I experienced this for the first time a few nights ago while testing out my new kettle and burner. In addition, my wife and girls were sleeping, so I didn't want to go banging through the house.

Ended up tossing in the hops, stirring like a mother to fight off a boil over, and then pissing out the garage door into the snow.

You got a kitchen sink right behind you. The wife will never know.

Back