Still have residew inside Keggle - Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skepace

Reaction score
So I am cleaning my keggles for my new all grain system. Using a bunch of PBW but when I wipe out the inside with a paper towel, it is covered in a brown substance. Anything else I can use?

Sounds like beer stone, and PBW is meant to take that off. Probably need some elbow grease and something more scrubby than a paper towel. I know I do when I PBW my kettle.

Gotcha. What about star san? It used to get my copper immersion chiller clean.

Perhaps Bar keepers friend?

If you can't get it out with barkeeper's friend, you'll never get it out. I love this stuff, though never used it on my brewing equipment. great idea!

Also, to the OP, I use a sponge/scrubber or occassionally a very light steel pad (like the ones for cleaning cast iron skillets or SS pots/pans.

If you can't get it out with barkeeper's friend, you'll never get it out. I love this stuff, though never used it on my brewing equipment. great idea!

+1 for Barkeeper's Friend. That stuff works miracles on stainless steel. After 3-4 brews, my boil kettle develops a faint, dull brown/tan coating on the bottom, in the outline of my burner stand. A little BKF and a scrubbing sponge, followed by washing it out with PBW and a good rinse, and it's back in showroom condition.

Also, to the OP, I use a sponge/scrubber or occassionally a very light steel pad (like the ones for cleaning cast iron skillets or SS pots/pans.

How are you cleaning your cast iron skillets? I never actually clean mine - I just scrape off the charred bits and rub it down with a little oil. You're not supposed to clean them, it removes the "seasoning" and you have to re-season it with oil in the oven again for a couple of hours.

+1 for Barkeeper's Friend. That stuff works miracles on stainless steel. After 3-4 brews, my boil kettle develops a faint, dull brown/tan coating on the bottom, in the outline of my burner stand. A little BKF and a scrubbing sponge, followed by washing it out with PBW and a good rinse, and it's back in showroom condition.

How are you cleaning your cast iron skillets? I never actually clean mine - I just scrape off the charred bits and rub it down with a little oil. You're not supposed to clean them, it removes the "seasoning" and you have to re-season it with oil in the oven again for a couple of hours.

I don't use soap when I am "cleaning" it. If I cooked something particularly sticky or bready (like cornbread) I heat the cast iron and then douse a bit of water in it, scrub it with the steel to get all of the stuff off it and then heat it again while wiping it down to dry. I will normally put a base layer of oil on it just because, but really, I don't need to "re-season" because I use a very good hardening oil for my original season by seasoning 7 times in a row with flaxseed oil. Look it up, it pretty awesome. here's a link
https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how_tos/5820-the-ultimate-way-to-season-cast-iron
If you are still curious, PM me so we don't hi-jack the thread haha.

Gotcha. What about star san? It used to get my copper immersion chiller clean.

it was just removing the oxidized surface from the copper since its an acid. it doesnt really clean anything. You need old fashioned elbow grease. bar keepers friend is a fine abrasive... using comet without bleach would clean it too but wouldnt passivate it I believe... I love bar keepers friend as well... use it with a green scotchbrite for tough stains.

I cleaned my brew kettle with a sponge with scotch brite pad and it took a few cleanings after brewing to get everything off along with some elbow grease. Keep at it and use hot water if you're not already. I used hot water from chilling to mix up my cleaning water in the mash tun. 10 gallons insulated helps clean a LOT of equipment.

Back