Long Term Storage Options

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope someone with more experience can chime in, but oak cubes does not equal oak barrel age because of the surface area differences. My impression is that your stout will become unbearably oakey with cubes and several months of time (please someone correct me if I'm wrong).

By boiling oak cubes to remove tannins, soaking in bourbon and limiting the quantity of oak cubes in a fermenter, you can limit the oak flavor.

Assumed too much head space, but i guess with co2 in keg itd be fine. Again only doing 2.5 gallon batches.

Torpedoes are nice. AIH has some smaller kegs as well for $75

whyb do you need 2.5gal kegs? The headspace of 2.5gal in a standard 5gal keg wouldnt be an issue if you just purge it

Last edited:
whyb do you need 2.5gal kegs? The headspace of 2.5gal in a standard 5gal keg wouldnt be an issue if you just purge it

Being paranoid I suppose. 5 gallons arent a problem to obtain. Very cheap from AIH

Oak cubes are better for long term aging than chips. Chips are OK for a few weeks, but will release tannins over longer periods of time due to the greater surface area. I have had good results using cubes in secondary for 4-5 months in an RIS. I soak them for a week or two in bourbon, then pour it all (including bourbon) into the fermenter. I used about 3 oz. medium toast cubes in a 5 gallon batch and the oakiness was just about right.

Back