using refractometer to confirm fermentation is complete?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pwnshop

Reaction score
If two post fermentation refractometer readings taken three days apart are the same is it safe to say that fermentation is complete?
I took a hydrometer sample and FG is where I want it to be, but I don't want to take another hydrometer sample if it can be avoided. This fermentation was unusally long, and i have taken samples multiple times already. I dont want to lose any more volume.
While taking my hydrometer sample I put a drop on the refractometer to get a reading. I know that the presence of alcohol skews the result, but all I'm really wondering is if the next refractometer reading would be exactly the same, assuming fermentation is complete? Or do refractometer readings vary wildly or something post fermentation?

thanks!

I can't comment on the refractometer readings post-ferment. But If I'm expecting a certain FG and the beer is there with a hydrometer reading, I consider that done. I don't see the use of multiple hydrometer readings, if I don't think its done I don't take a reading.

From what I understand about refractometers, they don't function properly in the presence of ethanol (although not sure about your instance where you are asking about two identical readings). I would stick with the hydrometer.

Sure, that works fine!

It won't give you an accurate actual reading due to the presence of alcohol, but once it is not changing, no matter what the reading is, the beer is done.

This. The number itself won't mean much, but it will indicate stopped fermentation.

The only issue might be a stuck fermentation prior to completion...if you're stopped but not complete, the refractometer readings might not indicate that to you.

I use my refractometer when I think it is done. This is just based on a BS timeline I guessed up. I take to readings three days apart. Then I grab a hydro sample for documenting and determining ABV. For my normal ale stuff I always leave them in for two and a half weeks before taking using the refractometer. I rack it out just shy of 3 weeks. I don't even know what a bottle bomb looks like....

Back