Adding flour?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bransona

Reaction score
I've seen a few brewers using all-purpose flour in their mash to create permanent haze. I was wondering if I could use this in a brown ale to make it look kinda like chocolate milk (clear brown+hazy=pale brown and opaque). Any thoughts?

I've always wanted to try something like this. I've heard it said that a little bit is all you need -- like one tablespoon in 5 gallons is plenty. Someday I'll do this on a hefeweizen or witbier just to try it and to make sure it doesn't go clear like they sometimes do.

You actually have to add it to the boil the last few minutes, make a slurry first. Works great for Wits, hazy Saisons, IPAs, etc. 1 or 2 Tbs per 5 gallons. Now it will settle out eventually in the keg, so you'll need to roll it every few weeks or so.

If you add it to the mash it will convert out ;)

Last edited:
You actually have to add it to the boil the last few minutes, make a slurry first. Works great for Wits, hazy Saisons, IPAs. 2 Tbsp per 5 gallons. Now it will setttle out eventually in the keg, so you'll need to roll it every week or so.

If you add it to the mash it will convert out ;)

Great to know :) What if I'm bottling? Can I help it stay in suspension somehow?

Its also pretty easy to make hazy beers without flour, without much of anything for that matter (finings, cold crashing, extended time, etc.) Mine hold their haze almost the entire length of the keg.

supposedly it also helps with head development/retention, and gives a bit of body. never tried it though.

I have seen the flour added to a lot of Northeast IPA recipes. I did it myself and am about to keg today or tomorrow. I added 0.25lbs into a 5gal batch into the mash. Some notice a slower sparge but I didn't really notice much. With the enzymatic action, I doubt it will contribute at all to the flavor, but should add a permanent haze. I will let you know in a few days.

Back