wlp566 activity question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mesooohoppy

Reaction score
I searched this site and was going to ask my question in another wlp 566 thread, but none of them seemed appropriate to ask in. So, sorry for making another thread.

Made my first saison this weekend (good lord was she trubby as all hell). came out at 1.057 with my leaky ball valve (another story for another day). brewed on Sunday, 2/7; pitched yeast at 4PM/ish.

I come home Monday night after work, 2/8 and see a super rad krausen and hear lots of blowoff activity. I watch it in awe for 10 minutes. Active fermentation is awesome; science is rad (blah blah blah).

I come home Tuesday night 2/9, and I see the krausen is all gone. There is still plenty of fermentation activity; blow off activity as well, although it has slowed down.

Ive read on the review section of white lab's 566 page that people have had great luck with the 566 yeast getting down the FG very fast (less than a week). So is it safe to assume what is happening is normal? Ive never had a krausen drop that fast, it was all gone last night.

I still plan to let it do its thing and finish out. I was just curious about the krausen activity.

Some more info:
-Yeast expired in late January, I needed it and I was the only one the HB store had.
-Made a starter and put in my closet 6 days prior. it got 'stirred' 2 times every day (after work, before bed). looked very healthy.
-Currently fermenting at 72-74 although I suspect the room is fermenting in gets hotter during the day while im at work (im in CA). No biggie.

Sorry for the all the info. I try to include as much as possible.

its fine. IME, WLP566 seems to be pretty quick to drop krausen and flocculate. I,m usually running 3 or more starters side by side and it always drops clear before the krausen even goes down on my other starters

its fine. IME, WLP566 seems to be pretty quick to drop krausen and flocculate. I,m usually running 3 or more starters side by side and it always drops clear before the krausen even goes down on my other starters

Thank you sir, it was still chewing away last night. :)

I’m using WLP566 on a saison I brewed 6 days ago. OG was pretty big at 1.078. After some healthy early activity, it has definitely slowed down. I just took a reading and it is at 1.038. Current temp is 78 F and I made a 2L starter with a lot of healthy yeast. Also oxygenated for 45 seconds sign pure O2.

A lot of the discussion on this yeast is that it is quick, but I may just have a different experience. Anyways, I’ll let it keep going and see where it ends up. With such a high OG I am expecting fermentation to exceed 14 days.

Back