Berlinerweiss help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddfore

Reaction score
Decided to try a berlinerweiss using a recipe from BYO. Everything came out right on brew day but when I went to add the bacteria(Wyeast 5335), I realized it also called for a 2nd yeast pitch(Wyeast 5526). The original was Wyeast 1007 which I did pitch. What will happen if the 2nd pitch isn't made? Can I still add it even though I put the bacteria in 3 days ago. Don't have a local shop that handles wide selection of Wyeast so would have to order. Didn't realize this recipe was going to be such an investment. Have $14 in yeast already for what will end up being a 4 gallon batch so would rather not make the 2nd pitch but don't want to scrap it at this point.

You do not need the brett yeast for this recipe. If you have soured with the lacto, and finished with the ale yeast, you can stop there and have a fine Berliner. Cheers.

I saw that issue, and thought they didn't do the best job.

If you pitch yeast at the start, you are looking at 6 months or more to get a decent Berliner, if it ever gets there. The lacto works best when there is no alcohol or hops.

What I have done and it has produced excellent results; and is bottle carb'd 6 weeks from starting ........ and is cheap.

- 1 lb wheat extract to 1 gallon to give an OG of 1.036. No hops. Heat to boiling and cool. I just bring to a boil for a few minutes to sanitize everything.
- Add some lacto. I have used Lacto acidopholis probiotic pills. Any lacto source would do, even the liquid from yogurt (with live bacteria).
- Add airlock and keep warm (~100 F) for about a week.
- Once sour (taste it to make sure), remove from heat and add LOTS of yeast. I usually arrange to have a whole cake from another beer available at the time. Due to the hostile environment (low Ph), you really need a big pitch.
- If you wanted to add hops, you could boil and add them at this point. I don't add hops or boil - not needed.
- Aerate and it should be done in a week.
- I usually dry hop. I really like Nelson Sauvin in a Berliner.
- Package as normal, and you are drinking 6 weeks after starting.

At $2 per lb LME, re-using yeast, a couple of bucks for the probiotics, and hops, and I'm looking at $14 for 50 bottles of refreshing Berliner.

No you don't need the Brett.

Do you rack to secondary or leave on yeast cake? What temp. do you hold at after fermentaion?

Latest posts

Back