Help with direct fired automation 1.5 bbl system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjhu7642

Reaction score
I'm looking for help in figuring out how to automate my 1.5 bbl propane fired system. I'm using BG14 burners with 30 psi regulator. I have a PID temperature controller to activate the gas valve, but I haven't had success getting auto-ignition to work reliably.

Attempts so far:
* pilot light - blows out when the valve is shutoff
* 12v hot surface igniter - worked for a few minutes, but the longer it ran, the less reliable the auto-ignition.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Brad

What gas valves do you have? If you want to use piloted valves, they should have a specific pilot light gas path so that the pilot stays lit. Or you can main line the pilot and put in a dedicated gas shutoff valve (maybe a needle valve). Pilots are nice but not if you brew outside, where wind can blow them out. I have had success with spark ignition systems.

I used your second option, separate line with needle valve but when the AFC 195 valve shuts off the resultant "poof" snuffs out the pilot. I can't use standard HVAC control valves due to the 30 psi need. Tell me more about how you set up the direct spark.

Back